Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 498690
F11 Hangs on Reboot or Shutdown
Last modified: 2009-05-18 13:12:39 EDT
Description of problem:
After upgrading today F11 won't reboot without doing a CTRL-ALT-BKSP to kill X and then a bunch of CTRL-ALT-DELs to get the init scripts to finish.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Select shutdown from the menu
2. I see it shut down all the GNOME elements, and then hang with only the desktop image visible. Mouse clicks do nothing.
4. Drop to console but won't finish shutdown
5. Multiple CTRL-ALT-DELs to convince the scripts to finish and shutdown
Shutdown with no intervention
Core2 Duo system, 4G RAM with Nvidia chipset motherboard and using the nouveu x11 driver.
What makes you think this is an issue with nouveau?
Well, I'm not sure exactly which part it is an issue with. But that seemed like a good starting point since I have to CTRL-ALT-BKSP to get it to drop back to the console.
The video driver's involvement in switching back to a VT is exactly the same no matter whether you press logout, or ctrl+alt+bksp :)
In any case, just to be sure, can you switch to the nv or vesa drivers and try to reproduce?
With the vesa driver a reboot acts the same. A shutdown was successful without intervention. The nv driver doesn't work with my card.
I also noticed the following:
1. After switching to console (CTRL-ALT-F2) the login prompt doesn't respond. That would indicate to me that the shutdown process is at least past that point.
2. The first line that appears when doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL is 'disabling monthly Smolt Update'
Same thing happens on my notebook:
- hangs during shutdown
- After switching to console (CTRL-ALT-F2) the login prompt doesn't respond.
- need 1 times CTRL-ALT-DEL to continue
- The first line that appears when doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL is 'disabling monthly
- after that, it always REBOOTS, even if I selected shutdown
HP 6715b, ATI Radeon 690, F11 beta 64-bit (updates up to 2009-05-04)
(In reply to comment #5)
> HP 6715b, ATI Radeon 690, F11 beta 64-bit (updates up to 2009-05-04)
Forgot to add: using nomodeset kernel option
Thanks for the bug report. We have reviewed the information you have provided above, and there is some additional information we require that will be helpful in our diagnosis of this issue.
Please EVERYBODY ON THIS BUG attach your X server config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf, if available) and X server log file (/var/log/Xorg.*.log) to the bug report as individual uncompressed file attachments using the bugzilla file attachment link below.
We will review this issue again once you've had a chance to attach this information.
Thanks in advance.
I was using the Nouveu driver with no xorg.conf file.
But now it is working fine using the current version of f11 where /etc/redhat-release reports Fedora release 11 (Leonidas) and the rawhide repos have been replaced with the f11 repos.
Anybody else can reproduce it with the latest upgrades to Rawhide?
Same for me - no longer reproducible with latest updates.
Thanks for letting us know