Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 499267
Assigning a PCI device using virt-manager/virt-install fails
Last modified: 2009-05-06 17:37:25 EDT
Just tested virt-manager's device assignment with the following steps:
* Run virt-manager, open an existing guest and go to the details tab
* Click "Add hardware", choose "Physical host device" and click "Forward"
* Choose the appropriate device from the drop down list (e.g. "00:19.0 Interface eth0 (82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection)")
* Click "Forward" and "Finish"
and it failed with:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/addhardware.py", line 571, in finish
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/addhardware.py", line 607, in add_hostdev
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/VirtualHostDevice.py", line 207, in setup
raise RuntimeError(_("Could not detach PCI device: %s" % str(e)))
RuntimeError: Could not detach PCI device: 'PCIDevice' object has no attribute 'dettach'
Just tried with virt-install --host-device and got the same error
Okay, the problem turns out to be that VirtualHostDevice._nodedev is a NodeDevice, not a virNodeDevice yet we do this:
We need a comprehensive fix which doesn't throw away the virNodeDevice in NodeDeviceParser.lookupNodeName(), but I think we should temporarily disable this dettach/reset code for F11 GA and the test day tomorrow
Created attachment 342658 [details]
Call detach/reset on the correct object
Seems to have done the job, since choosing an arbitrary pci entry in 'virsh nodedev-list' and passing to --host-device managed to lock my machine up :)
Looks good to me
Built into python-virtinst-0.400.3-8.fc11.
Tag request: https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/1749
* Wed May 06 2009 Cole Robinson <email@example.com> - 0.400.3-8.fc11
- Fix PCI assignment (bz 499267)