Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 499340
X fails to launch when kernel option nomodeset is added for ATI Radeon X800
Last modified: 2009-05-18 07:36:18 EDT
Description of problem:
After updating to kernel 18.104.22.168-129.fc11.x86_64, kernel option "nomodeset" will prevent X from launching successfully. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to start X, the system falls back to a virtual console.
According to Xorg.0.log, no screens were found.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Boot system into run level 5.
X starts and GDM appears on the screen.
- X starts correctly with enabled mode setting but in that case, "supend"
is broken [bug 493254].
- Last working kernel was 22.214.171.124-128.fc11.x86_64. According to the
changelog of the kernel package:
* Wed May 06 2009 Dave Airlie <firstname.lastname@example.org> 126.96.36.199-129
- drm-modesetting-radeon.patch: rebase onto drm-next.
Created attachment 342636 [details]
Xorg.0.log for kernel option nomodeset but without xorg.conf
For the latest Koji packages, X does not abort anymore when "nomodeset" is added to the kernel options. Instead, the monitor powers off. There is no response to keyboard input and the system has to be powered off. Installed packages include: