Bug 500228 - Please update to new version and apply a patch to workaround a redhat bug
Please update to new version and apply a patch to workaround a redhat bug
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: pmount (Show other bugs)
11
All Linux
low Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jan Zeleny
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks: 484001
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-05-11 14:53 EDT by Patrice Dumas
Modified: 2010-03-10 06:40 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: 484001
Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-03-10 06:40:39 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
rebased .spec file to add the utf8 patch and use latest version (1.80 KB, patch)
2009-05-11 18:10 EDT, Patrice Dumas
no flags Details | Diff
rebased spec file patch to apply the utf8 patch (1.35 KB, patch)
2009-10-12 10:13 EDT, Patrice Dumas
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description Patrice Dumas 2009-05-11 14:53:58 EDT
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #484001 +++

Created an attachment (id=330857)
Fixed and updated pmount

Description of problem:

Redhat kernel patch linux-2.6-defaults-fat-utf8.patch introduce a big bug when used in a non-UTF8-setup.

The patch utf8fix.patch in the srpm will work around that bug.

Additional I update the tool to the current version (Note that the URL has changed!)

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
pmount 0.9.13

How reproducible:
Steps to Reproduce:
1. unset ALL language flags or use latin1 language flags
2. mount a vfat directory (usbstick) with german umlauts
  
Actual results:
You will see strange utf8 chars as the filesystem is mounted wrongly with utf8 option

Expected results:
You see the german umlaut or at least a '?'

Additional info:
Note that the main problem is a kernel bug that was made by RedHat (See #483622). This fix will also work with a fixed kernel.

Please also note that I did not change the name of the two patches from version 0.9.13 but I did a quilt refresh so the patches are cleanly applyable.

--- Additional comment from pertusus@free.fr on 2009-02-04 09:22:40 EDT ---

You should start from the devel branch for the updates part, devel is already at 0.9.17. I plan to update to 0.9.18 soon.

The patch looks fine to me. It somehow relies on the fact that in utf8 locales the iocharset=%s from fs.c is not used, which confused me at first.

I am not sure that this solves every cases, though, since in utf8 locales the iocharset will be still be ignored. But this is more for the kernel bug.

--- Additional comment from klaus@ethgen.de on 2009-02-04 09:57:40 EDT ---

O, 0.9.18 is the last released version in 2008-10-18. See http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pmount/.

When you look to pmount.c you can see that the utf8 flag is special handled in pmount.c (at least in 0.9.18). So the changes in fs.c only happens with non UTF8 locales or if not -c utf8 is specified. So the patch should solve every case.

And yes, this is a kernel bug, called linux-2.6-defaults-fat-utf8.patch.

To your confusion, I planed first to fix the error in pmount.c but as only the utf8 case is handled special and the normal case is specified in fs.c I decided to do it there more generic. That should be better than adding one more if construct.

--- Additional comment from pertusus@free.fr on 2009-02-04 12:26:43 EDT ---

Created an attachment (id=330892)
update to latest and add patch

--- Additional comment from pertusus@free.fr on 2009-02-04 12:28:01 EDT ---

Created an attachment (id=330893)
fixfor non utf8 locales

--- Additional comment from pertusus@free.fr on 2009-02-04 12:29:32 EDT ---

Stepan, I attached an (untested) spec file patch for pmount devel and Klaus patch.

I think that this should be propagated to devel and to stable releases too.

I'll use it in epel too once it is in a stable release.
Comment 1 Patrice Dumas 2009-05-11 18:10:39 EDT
Created attachment 343508 [details]
rebased .spec file to add the utf8 patch and use latest version
Comment 2 Bug Zapper 2009-06-09 11:38:41 EDT
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 11 development cycle.
Changing version to '11'.

More information and reason for this action is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 3 Patrice Dumas 2009-10-12 10:13:59 EDT
Created attachment 364465 [details]
rebased spec file patch to apply the utf8 patch
Comment 4 Jan Zeleny 2010-03-10 06:40:39 EST
This bug seems to be open for F10, because in F11 the referred patch is missing in kernel. Also 0.9.13 was already rebased to 0.9.17 and there is no intention in rebasing further in F11. Closing the bug.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.