Bug 500992 - Eclipse 3.3.2 crashes with Firefox as help browser
Eclipse 3.3.2 crashes with Firefox as help browser
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: eclipse (Show other bugs)
10
i686 Linux
low Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Andrew Overholt
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-05-15 08:10 EDT by Keith Roberts
Modified: 2009-08-18 06:36 EDT (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-08-18 04:51:46 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Java error message after Eclipse crashes (59.05 KB, text/plain)
2009-05-15 08:12 EDT, Keith Roberts
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Keith Roberts 2009-05-15 08:10:50 EDT
Description of problem:

On a fully patched version of Fedora 10 using:

Eclipse eclipse-SDK-3.3.2-linux-gtk.tar.gz

Sun's jdk-6u6-linux-i586-rpm.bin

firefox-3.0.10-1.fc10.i386

xulrunner-1.9.0.10-1.fc10.i386

(I know it's a non-standard setup, but it works OK on Fedora 8.)

I have selected /usr/bin/firefox as my browser for the Eclipse help system.

When I start Eclipse 3.3.2 with the CDT 4.0 plugin, If I click on 

Help->Help Contents Firefox crashes with the attached error message from Java.

This appears to be a xulrunner problem, according to the Java error message.

Eclipse and Sun's java are installed on a separate partition, so I use the same instances of Eclipse and Java between F8 and F10.

ATM I have to boot F8 to use Eclipse.
  
Actual results:

Eclipse crashes every time with the Java error message about xulrunner.

Expected results:

I expected Firefox to open as my Eclipse help system browser.
Comment 1 Keith Roberts 2009-05-15 08:12:29 EDT
Created attachment 344128 [details]
Java error message after Eclipse crashes
Comment 2 Andrew Overholt 2009-05-15 08:53:32 EDT
Upstream 3.3.x does not work with the latest XULRunner in Fedora 10.
Comment 3 Matěj Cepl 2009-05-15 08:59:51 EDT
Thanks for the bug report.  We have reviewed the information you have provided above, and there is some additional information we require that will be helpful in our diagnosis of this issue.

I would like to ask you to restest with Fedora's Eclipse from F10 ... you will get much more recent version (3.4.1), and the one which actually uses our system xulrunner (the upstream one uses its own xulrunner). If you are able to reproduce the crash with that, please, file a new log here.

We will review this issue again once you've had a chance to attach this information.

Thanks in advance.
Comment 4 Alexander Kurtakov 2009-05-15 09:09:02 EDT
(In reply to comment #3)
> Thanks for the bug report.  We have reviewed the information you have provided
> above, and there is some additional information we require that will be helpful
> in our diagnosis of this issue.
> 
> I would like to ask you to restest with Fedora's Eclipse from F10 ... you will
> get much more recent version (3.4.1), and the one which actually uses our
> system xulrunner (the upstream one uses its own xulrunner). If you are able to
> reproduce the crash with that, please, file a new log here.
> 
> We will review this issue again once you've had a chance to attach this
> information.
> 
> Thanks in advance.  

Actually upstream Eclipse is not using its own xulrunner. Thanks for the corrections Andrew. But xulrunner is causing a lot of trouble so just use the packaged version. Also the version you have used is not supported anymore upstream so there is no hope for getting this fixed for 3.3.
Comment 5 Andrew Overholt 2009-05-15 09:17:59 EDT
The upstream actually does not use its own xulrunner.  This is the problem.  Eclipse 3.3.2 was built against a version of mozilla that has had its APIs change between then and the version in Fedora 10.  Hence the problem.

If you must use 3.3.2 from upstream, you can try like so:

./eclipse -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=NONE -data /path/to/your/workspace

I forget if NONE or a bogus path to XULRunner is better.  Also, you can refer to the upstream SWT FAQ:

http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#specifyxulrunner
Comment 6 Keith Roberts 2009-05-15 12:42:13 EDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> The upstream actually does not use its own xulrunner.  This is the problem. 
> Eclipse 3.3.2 was built against a version of mozilla that has had its APIs
> change between then and the version in Fedora 10.  Hence the problem.
> 
> If you must use 3.3.2 from upstream, you can try like so:
> 
> ./eclipse -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=NONE -data
> /path/to/your/workspace
> 
> I forget if NONE or a bogus path to XULRunner is better.  Also, you can refer
> to the upstream SWT FAQ:
> 
> http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#specifyxulrunner  

Tried that Andrew, but it still crashes.

Would using Konqueror instead of Firefox as my Eclipse help browser solve this?
Comment 7 Andrew Overholt 2009-05-15 12:58:17 EDT
(In reply to comment #6)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > The upstream actually does not use its own xulrunner.  This is the problem. 
> > Eclipse 3.3.2 was built against a version of mozilla that has had its APIs
> > change between then and the version in Fedora 10.  Hence the problem.
> > 
> > If you must use 3.3.2 from upstream, you can try like so:
> > 
> > ./eclipse -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=NONE -data
> > /path/to/your/workspace
> > 
> > I forget if NONE or a bogus path to XULRunner is better.  Also, you can refer
> > to the upstream SWT FAQ:
> > 
> > http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#specifyxulrunner  
> 
> Tried that Andrew, but it still crashes.
> 
> Would using Konqueror instead of Firefox as my Eclipse help browser solve this?  

No.

Your best bet is to look through the workarounds listed in bug #483832.  Or use our 3.4 packages :)
Comment 8 Matěj Cepl 2009-05-15 14:59:42 EDT
This really belongs to Eclipse-lang. Reassigning.
Comment 9 Andrew Overholt 2009-05-15 15:11:55 EDT
Really, it's an upstream bug since Keith isn't using our packages.
Comment 10 Keith Roberts 2009-05-15 18:10:35 EDT
I'll download the Fedora F10 Eclipse packages asap, and see how I get on with them :)
Comment 11 Alexander Kurtakov 2009-06-04 06:59:02 EDT
Did Fedora 10 Eclipse package works for you?
If it works please close the bug.
Comment 12 Alexander Kurtakov 2009-08-18 04:51:46 EDT
This bug was present when upstream Eclipse was used instead of our packages.
No response from reporter for more than 2 months to my question. Closing.
Comment 13 Keith Roberts 2009-08-18 06:36:08 EDT
Sorry for not replying sooner.

I'd just like to confirm that the problem was using  the older version of Eclipse 3.3.2 from upstream, with F10.

Both the Fedora 10 3.4.1 version, and 3.4.2 from Eclipse are both working perfectly on F10.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction to solve this issue.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.