Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 503895
proxy webui installer declares to remove packages unnecessarily
Last modified: 2009-06-03 06:09:40 EDT
Description of problem:
Proxy installer lists conflicting packages, even if they do not conflict.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RHN Proxy 5.3, channel synced from webqa
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RHN Proxy over WEBUI.
2. Make sure you do NOT sync or change any different the content of the proxy channel on the satellite until end of the test.
3. Deactivate Proxy over WEBUI and uncheck the opportunity to remove the packages to NOT remove them.
4. Activate same Proxy version again over WEBUI.
The installer displays following on the WEBUI:
Remove Conflicting Packages
The following packages conflict with the new installation and will be removed:
Why to remove those packages, if the same package versions will be installed?
If required package version is already installed, it shouldn't be removed and installed again.
Clearing sat530 flags as it is definitely not for 530 release.
The logic is:
- during installation we install only package spacewalk-proxy-management, all other are installed through dependecy.
- webui installator do not have functionality to check in which version is this package and all its dependecies. And we do not know from channel it is.
- therefore we rather remove all proxy package and install new one. Even if they are the same.
There is definitely space for improvement, but WebUI installation will be obsoleted and I would like to have it only in maintance mode.
All future enhancement should go into command line installer.
Closing as wont fix.