From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
Description of problem:
I believe Xconfigurator is the component running during the install when
being asked questions about the Graphical environment to use. I choose
KDE (No offense to Gnome users) and I also selected text login. My
interpretation of this was that when the machine rebooted, I would be
given a normal command line login (runlevel 3) and if I started X, I would
be presented with the KDE desktop. instead, when I rebooted the machine,
the system started up in runlevel 5, and I saw Gnome as my desktop, not
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Use the beta installer to install the OS.
2. Select Everything to install.
3. When prompted by the text screen to select your desktop of choice,
4. Select the option for text based login, not graphical.
5. Finish install and reboot the machine.
6. Note the login on the screen is now KDM, instead of command line.
Actual Results: Systems boots up to KDM screen in runlevel 5. After
logging in, the system is running Gnome, not KDE. I've done the install 3
separate times. I've gotten the same results each time. My graphics card
is an ATI Rage XL with 8 MB of RAM and I'm using a Relion 120 rackmount
server from Penguin Computing.
Expected Results: I expected to be at a command line login (run level 3)
and when I started X, have it come up to KDE.
During the configuration of my card, the installer properly detects that
my card is an ATI Rage XL card. However, it does not autodetect the
amount of memeory on the card - It asks me to enter that information
myself. Not sure if this is the default behavior moving forawrd, but in
prior releases, it never detected the memory correctly. The installer
chose 1280 x 1024 at 16-bits, I assume based on the fact I put in 8 MB for
the card. A reboot of the machine, has the screens come up in what
appears to be 640 x 480 mode, or lower, with huge windows and icons, and I
do not see anything on the bootm of the screen. I assume that these are
also further down, but unreachable.
We (Red Hat) really need to fix this defect before next release.