Bug 520019 - Setting hostname to anythin but 'localhost' causes slow start of Firefox and Epiphany
Summary: Setting hostname to anythin but 'localhost' causes slow start of Firefox and ...
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: xulrunner
Version: rawhide
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Linux
low
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Gecko Maintainer
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2009-08-28 02:34 UTC by Dawid Zamirski
Modified: 2018-04-11 11:47 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-09-02 02:00:09 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Dawid Zamirski 2009-08-28 02:34:24 UTC
Description of problem:
When I set my hostname to something else than 'localhost' (and I ususally set it to eg 'phenom.localdomain', 'laptop.localdomain' etc) then Firefox (and Epiphany) will take easily more than 13s to start up. I have first noticed this on Fedora 11 but I couldn't find what's the cause. I've made sure that my /etc/hosts file contains my custom name in both lines (127.0.0.1 & ::1). When I was testing F12 rawhide in KVM, I've noticed that Firefox loaded fast in there, so I upgraded my main system to F12 Alpha and after setting my custom hostname, Firefox again took >13s to start. Then I issued 'hostname localhost.localdomain' command in the console and the browser starts fast again. 

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
xulrunner-1.9.1.2-4.fc12.x86_64


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set hostname to anything but localhost
2. Run Firefox/Epiphany (takes a long tiome to start)
3. Set hostame to localhost, Firefox starts fast..
  
Actual results:
Firefox takes a long time to start.

Expected results:
Almost instant browser start.

Additional info:
It happens in F11 X86_64 and on three different machines.

Comment 1 Matěj Cepl 2009-08-28 07:41:22 UTC
Could you please run

hostname -s

and

host -v $(hostname -s).localdomain

commands?

Take a look at bug 513552, I suspect that these are actually duplicates and that the other bug should be switched to glibc.

Looking forward to your reply

Comment 2 Dawid Zamirski 2009-08-28 14:04:38 UTC
Ok, here's what it gives when I'm 'localhost.localdomain' (Firefox starts quickly)
[maners@localhost ~]$ hostname -s
localhost
[maners@localhost ~]$ host -v $(hostname -s).localdomain
Trying "localhost.localdomain"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached


Now with 'phenom.localdomain':
[maners@phenom ~]$ hostname -s
localhost
[maners@phenom ~]$ host -v $(hostname -s).localdomain
Trying "localhost.localdomain"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
[maners@phenom ~]$ 

My hosts file:
[root@phenom maners]# cat /etc/hosts
# hostname phenom.localdomain added to /etc/hosts by anaconda
127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost phenom.localdomain
::1		localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6 phenom.localdomain

I was setting the hostname via /etc/sysconfig/network and rebooted every time. I had to do it that way as changing it just with hostname command would prevent any gnome app to start when I'm connected to the system via remote NX session - when working locally changing with hostname command did not cause this problem (I'll check this again when I'm @home :-))

Comment 3 Dawid Zamirski 2009-09-02 02:00:09 UTC
Hi Matej

It seems that my router configuration was messed up and that's why I was getting all this weird behaviour :-(. I have checked the router because when I was trying to SSH to one of my local PCs via 192.168 IP it was also taking a lot of time before getting any response. Then I decided to upgrade my router's firmware and re-configured all network settings in there. Now everything works perfect. I have re-ran the commands you asked me in your comment again while having my hostname customized to 'phenom.localdomain':

[maners@phenom ~]$ hostname -s
localhost
[maners@phenom ~]$ host -v $(hostname -s).localdomain
Trying "localhost.localdomain"
Received 50 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53 in 53 ms
Trying "localhost.localdomain.localdomain"
Host localhost.localdomain not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Received 62 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53 in 55 ms

Now everything works fine for me. Sorry for the useless bug report. I'm closing as NOTABUG.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.