From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
Description of problem:
When I try to run Xconfigurator and test my settings the screen messes up
and becomes quite useless in Textmode.
I'm using S3 ViRGE /GX w. 2mb which is an on-board version on a Tulip
Vision Line dt/233.
I saw a simlilar problem reported using 7.0 (which I had installed
previously) and tried downgrading XFree86 and modifying my XFreeConfig
file as specified in a Gotcha. This didn't work for me.
Now I've upgraded to RedHat 7.1, which has solved part of the problem.
When installing 7.0 the installer messed up the screen too. This is *not*
the case when I installed 7.1. But Gnome and Xconfigurator still doesn't
work - allthough it's working better than before.
Now, I suspect that my configuration is wrong somehow since the installer
works without a glitch. But I havn't got the faintest idea were to look.
I'm installing linux for the first time and I am a complete newbie, som I
appologize if this is something I should be able to do. I'm not sure how I
determine which packages etc. that was upgraded etc.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
3.Xconfigurator and test.
Actual Results: The screen is all garbage and when i return to textmode
this is garbage too.
Expected Results: The displayed without garbage.
After a complete reinstall of 7.1 instead of an upgrade from 7.0->7.1 and using
the *old* driverset instead of the proposed new version, the X and gnome works.
I still think something is wrong with the new drivers in the newer version of
the server, but this seems to work for me.