Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 54662
Ugly konqueror fonts on default RH 7.1 install
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:37:37 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.3-12 i686)
Description of problem:
Some web pages dsplay hideous fonts in konqueror on default RH 7.1
install. A good example is the RH bugzilla main page. Another good
example is the kernel.org home page. The fonts look like they aren't
scaling correctly. This can be palliated by changing the encoding to
anything but "auto" on the currently runnint konqueror instance
(right-click onthe konqueror window, select "Set encoding", and select
something other than "Auto") but the choice does not stick after shutting
down that konqueror instance and selecting non-Auto encoding on the main
settings page DOES NOT fix it.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start up kdw on RH 7.1, either as default desktop or sleected by
"startkde" in .xinitrc.
2. Go to RH bugzilla main page or kernel.org main page
3. See blocky, practically unreadable fonts
Actual Results: bad fonts
Expected Results: readable fonts
Machine is Athlon 750, video is Matrox 450 in Xinerama mode at 2 x 1280 x
1024 (2 x Sony 500PS displays). Navigator displays these pages just fine
both under KDE and Gnome. So far, I've only found those two pages which
show the ugly fonts, but I'm sure there are others - I just haven't been
able to figure out the common element between them.
This was specific to some graphics cards and installs with all packages (or at
least all font packages) installed, that's why it went unnoticed (I'm using
It's been fixed in 7.2.
I have just installed RH 7.2 and I still see the font problem using konqueror.
Fonts look ugly, but not unreadable, on some pages (e.g. http://groups.google.com/).
I am using a Matrox G400 card on a default RH 7.2.
It seems like this problem appears when the <FONT FACE=xxx> tag is used in html
Some additional comment to my previous posting.
This problem seems to be solved if you remove the line
from the font catalogue in "/etc/X11/fs/config".
Then restart the xfs server.
Seems like an xfs bug or some problems with the "abiword" fonts.
I did some additional checking based on the suggestions by Luca Bonomi (thanks
Luca!) and found that the problem goes away if I remove the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc entry from the xfs config file. Note that the
xxx:unscaled entry stays; it's only the scaled font entry that has to go. I
realize this bug is fixed in 7.2, but this workaround should help those poor
souls who haven't yet upgraded.