Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 54954
OpenGL on Voodoo 5 displays incorrectly
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:37:43 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 4.0)
Description of problem:
OpenGL examples (like gears from the Mesa-demos package) display
incorrectly on a Voodoo 5 5500 when using Direct Rendering. Some or all
polygons are "stretched" down and to the left.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install 7.2 on a machine with a Voodoo 5 5500 (make sure the Mesa and
Mesa-demos RPMs are installed.
2. Run "gears".
3. Set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=TRUE in your environment (and export)
4. Run "gears" again.
Actual Results: The first time you run "gears" you will see the gears
displayed incorrectly - they will seem to be stretched down and to the
left. The second time (with indirect rendering) they will be displayed
Expected Results: Both cases should display the same.
This works correctly if you use the X Server from dri.sourceforge.net.
I had the same problem. Voodoo 5 on a fresh 7.2 with the exact visual
distortion. I fixed it by pulling the source of glide.sourceforge.net and
compiling. (Don't enable amd 3Dnow or it won't work). I think that I had
this same problem before. I would guess that the XFree86 guys have a <
up-to-date version of Glide in their tree.
Yup, you're right. I installed a CVS Glide (I had an RPM from when I was playing
with DRI) and it displays fine now. Definitely Red Hat needs to upgrade the
Glide libraries in it's XFree86 RPMs.
Thanks for the info!
firstname.lastname@example.org: Actually... There is no Glide at all in the
XFree86 tree. Glide doesn't come as part of XFree86 source. That
said, the Glide3 that comes with Red Hat Linux, is supplied in the
XFree86 RPM packages, which may be a cause for the confusion.
There are some issues with the Voodoo 4/5 that people claim is fixed
by recompiling, however I haven't been able to see/test this because
I do not actually have this hardware. I plan on obtaining one though
and testing this out. It is possible our build process may have a
flaw in it perhaps.
This is still happening with the 4.2 SRPMs from Rawhide - I built these on 7.2
and saw the same problem.
Once again, building a new Glide from the sourceforge CVS tree works.
The Glide3 package we ship *IS* a Glide checkout from sourceforge CVS.
This implies that the actual Glide3 build itself is failing somehow.
I had a Voodoo 5 shipped to me that unfortunately died upon arrival,
so I am still not able to actually see it with my own eyes and test
build it until I see it working as you describe.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 52950 ***
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.