Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 57274
kernel >2.4.16-pre1 compile failures from segfaults
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:38:37 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:0.9.6) Gecko/20011120
Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. save configs from last kernel
2. unpack linux-2.4.16.tar.bz2
3. unpack patch-2.4.17-pre6
4. mv linux-2.4.16 linux-2.4.17-pre6
5. rm -f linux #old link
6. ln -s linux-2.4.17-pre6 linux
7. cd linux
8. patch -p1 <../patch-$VERP
9. copy in old configs saved above
10. make oldconfig
11. make xconfig to set rtc to utc
12. edit 'makeit' to reflect the right versions
13. run ./makeit, which is equivalent to:
14. make dep
15. make clean
16. make bzImage
17. move old vmlinuz out of the way my renaming
18. cp bzImage to /boot as vmlinuz-$VER
19. make modules
20. move old modules by renaming
21. make modules_install
22. copy System.map and reset /boot links
23. depmod -a $VER
24. lilo -v
Actual Results: fails at make bzImage with this error return:
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/mnt/hdc1/src/linux-2.4.17-pre6/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
-march=k6 -c -o root.o root.c
In file included from
Internal error: Segmentation fault.
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
Expected Results: obviously the compile should have succeeded, but I've
had similar results where ld failed for kernel-2.4.17-pre1, so I'm stuck at
2.4.16-pre1, which I first built with 2.96-97, and which rebuilds with
2.96-101 just fine.
gcc is 2.96-101, full install of all components
cpu is a K6-III running at 500 mhz
gcc is segfaulting, not the kernel
Is it reproduceable always on the same file messages?
If not, it is in 99.9% hardware problem, if yes, please attach preprocessed
source file (root.i) on which this can be reproduced (you can e.g. use
gcc -save-temps option to create it).
I've no idea how it happened, but according to gnorpm, I had both gcc-2.96-98 and gcc3 installed.
I've removed gcc3, and two compiles have now run to completion via my ./makeit script.
Two more attempts have now hung the machine requireing a reset button, but this
seems to be related to my attempts to make sane find my new scanner, an Epson 1250U.
I've also removed from the kernel 2.4.17-pre6 building right now, the pdc202xx suppport
as I've removed the card from that machine a week ago. I'm not gonna mess with the
scanner while this kernel is building so I expect it will be fine.
I may have been 'crying wolf', so if you want to close this one, be my guest.