Description of Problem:
This distribution is using openssh_2.9p2
Versions prior than 3.0.2 are vulnerable to an enviroment variables export that
can allow a local user to execute commands with root privileges. This problem
affects only versions prior than 3.0.2, and when the UseLogin feature is enabled
(usually disabled by default)
Versions older than 3.0.1 are vulnerable to a flaw which an attacker may
authenticate, provided that Kerberos V support has been enabled (which is not
the case by default). It is also vulnerable to an excessive memory clearing
bug, believed to be unexloitable.
Since I have enabled Kerberos V, this is a serious problem.
Solution: Upgrade to OpenSSH 3.0.2
I've looked into this a bit.
Our current tree has openssh-2.9p2-12, which has a patch
for the UseLog exploit. This version will ship in the final candidate.
I'm not certain that we support enabling Kerberos V here.
I've asked and I'll report back when I have more information.
By enabling Kerberos V support, do you mean that you enabled Kerberos for
authentication at install-time (or later, using authconfig), or that you rebuilt
the OpenSSH package with Kerberos V support (which it does not enable by default)?
If you selected Kerberos at install-time, you are not affected by the bug in
OpenSSH, and if you rebuilt the package to enable Kerberos support, I recommend
starting with the Raw Hide version of the package (currently at
The UseLogin vulnerability has addressed by a security erratum
(https://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2001-161.html), so I'm closing this
report and marking it resolved by errata.
I'm changing this to "Modified" per the project policy.
I've looked into this some more.
Nalin pointed me to the Security Focus article:
This reads in part:
The only affected OpenSSH implementations are those
that have compiled into the program the Kerberos V compatibility code.
As we do not compile in this code, I believe we are not vulnerable
to this hole.
Current version for the alpha dist is:
[root@localhost etc]# rpm -q openssh
Bug closed (was on compaq's punch list)