I am also seeing this on rhel6.
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #595250 +++
This happens with rawhide anaconda boot, but I perhaps it could be reproduced on any rawhide installation.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. boot the installer
2. scp-in rawhide version of xrandr
3. xrandr -d :1 -s 640x480
X server crashes with sigsegv.
definitely not a sigsegv.
Created attachment 416061 [details]
X.log with teh crash on rhel6
So you're running xrandr when X isn't on the foreground vt?
does adding a "sleep 10;" in front of your command, then manually switching to the display in that 10 second interval and waiting work? or does that also a trigger a crash?
yes, that works.
Some additional information:
- I can only see the SEGV on a vmware virtual machine. When I switch to the X vt, the resolution changes nicely.
- On a physical x86_64 machine, attempting the mode switch from the command line outputs "Failed to change the screen configuration!". Again, it works when X is in the foreground.
okay so this may be some weird interaction with the vmware driver and X. I imagine running xrandr on a display that isn't active is fairly untested territory.
Thanks for the bug report. We have reviewed the information you have provided above, and there is some additional information we require that will be helpful in our diagnosis of this issue.
Please add drm.debug=0x04 to the kernel command line, restart computer, and attach
* your X server config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf, if available),
* output of the dmesg command,
* system log (/var/log/messages), and
* X server log file (/var/log/Xorg.*.log)
to the bug report as individual uncompressed file attachments using the bugzilla file attachment link above.
We will review this issue again once you've had a chance to attach this information.
Thanks in advance.
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for inclusion in a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux major release. Product Management has requested further
review of this request by Red Hat Engineering, for potential inclusion in a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux Major release. This request is not yet committed for
* Mon May 24 2010 Adam Jackson <firstname.lastname@example.org> 1.7.6-6
- xserver-1.7.6-randr-vt-switch.patch: Fix crash when trying to change RANDR
config while VT switched away. (#586926)
- xserver-1.1.1-pam.patch: Port the PAM enablement from EL5. (#582710)
I am helping Tomas Pelka verify this bug: just tried with RC4 RHEL6. I can confirm that calling 'xrandr -d :1 -s 640x480' from the command line no longer crashes X, although it outputs "Failed to change the screen configuration!" and does not change the resolution (which could be the desired behavior on vmware).
Big kudos to Ales, moving to VERIFIED on xorg-x11-drv-vmware-10.16.7-2.1.el6.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 is now available and should resolve
the problem described in this bug report. This report is therefore being closed
with a resolution of CURRENTRELEASE. You may reopen this bug report if the
solution does not work for you.