Bug 600355 - Mounting a drive/partiton during installation makes it unmountable from other OS (even if installation fails)
Mounting a drive/partiton during installation makes it unmountable from other...
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: anaconda (Show other bugs)
13
i386 Linux
low Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Anaconda Maintenance Team
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-06-04 10:30 EDT by iitm07-golf
Modified: 2010-06-09 03:31 EDT (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-06-09 03:31:35 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description iitm07-golf 2010-06-04 10:30:46 EDT
Description of problem:  I copied the contents of the installation DVD (only because the installer could not find the DVD in the drive - see another bug report on this topic) to a partition on a physical drive different from the target drive for Fedora installation.

During the installation, I planned to mount two partitions (from another physical drive).  The installation failed (I don't remember the error message), but the data partition was written to, and now I cannot mount the data partition (do not have the rights) from Ubuntu Linux booted up from another drive.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:  Probably every time, from the simplicity of the operation.


Steps to Reproduce:
1.  Copy DVD contents to a data drive partition (may not be necessary if the installer finds in the installation DVD in the drive)
2.  Boot up from DVD and install from the data drive partition
3.  Select data drive partitions to be mounted
4.  Continue.  In my case, the installation failed (I don't remember the reason), but the data partitions had something (access rights) written to them, and I cannot mount them when I boot up Ubuntu Linux.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 iitm07-golf 2010-06-06 15:28:33 EDT
Updated info:

I installed Fedora 13 successfully after disconnecting the CD-ROM drive (refer to Bug 600168).

After installing Fedora 13, I am able to:
1. I am able to boot up and run Fedora.  And mount (data) partitions from other drives.
2. (Using the Grub Boot Manager,) I am able to boot up and run Ubuntu.  And mount data partitions from other drives and from within the same drive.
3.  However, during the bootup of Ubuntu, the signature on one partition cannot be verified, suggesting that I fix it manually.  I believe this is still a bug, ie, the partition signature (or whatever identifier) should not have been tampered with.

Finally, I am not happy the Fedora13 installing IcedTea Web Start, instead of Java Web Start.  IcedTea Web Start does not handle E*Trade's Power E*Trade Pro application.  It will be nice if the default installation has the fewest surprises, and advanced users can choose to change components according to their liking or fancy.
Comment 2 Hans de Goede 2010-06-07 04:49:14 EDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> Updated info:
> 
> I installed Fedora 13 successfully after disconnecting the CD-ROM drive (refer
> to Bug 600168).
> 
> After installing Fedora 13, I am able to:
> 1. I am able to boot up and run Fedora.  And mount (data) partitions from other
> drives.

Including the partition which you cannot mount from Ubuntu ?

> 2. (Using the Grub Boot Manager,) I am able to boot up and run Ubuntu.  And
> mount data partitions from other drives and from within the same drive.
> 3.  However, during the bootup of Ubuntu, the signature on one partition cannot
> be verified, suggesting that I fix it manually.  I believe this is still a bug,
> ie, the partition signature (or whatever identifier) should not have been
> tampered with.

Can you somehow find out what Ubuntu expects to find there, and what it is finding there now ?


> 
> Finally, I am not happy the Fedora13 installing IcedTea Web Start, instead of
> Java Web Start.  IcedTea Web Start does not handle E*Trade's Power E*Trade Pro
> application.  It will be nice if the default installation has the fewest
> surprises, and advanced users can choose to change components according to
> their liking or fancy.    

Please file a bug against IcedTea for this. Note that we will not ship non free software, hence we use IcedTea.
Comment 3 iitm07-golf 2010-06-08 20:40:06 EDT
(In reply to comment #2)
> 
> Including the partition which you cannot mount from Ubuntu ?
> 
Yes, all partitions, including the (NTFS) one I could not mount/access from Ubuntu a few days ago before.



> 
> Can you somehow find out what Ubuntu expects to find there, and what it is
> finding there now ?
> 
Here is the log from fsck:
Log of fsck -C3 -R -A -a 
Tue Jun  8 17:18:30 2010

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
/dev/sdb7: clean, 80/82328 files, 182270/329268 blocks
fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=161c3f5d-7754-453e-8542-bb399ff625ee'

fsck died with exit status 8

Tue Jun  8 17:18:30 2010
----------------

This error never came up before the aborted install of Fedora 13.  And it now persists even after a successful install of Fedora 13.

I believe /dev/sdb7 is a (20 GB) partition I used to try and install FreeBSD, but I am not sure.



> 
> Please file a bug against IcedTea for this. Note that we will not ship non free
> software, hence we use IcedTea.    
I think with Fedora8, I downloaded Java 1.6 and installed it as unstructed on the download web-site.  And Java Web Start got installed, because Power E*Trade Pro started working.  This is a free Java download.

So is it not available at no charge to Fedora for bundling on the DVD?  Note that Ubuntu bundles it, and Ubuntu is free (to me, at least), so I doubt Ubuntu is paying anything for Java Web Start.

A bug against IcedTea has been filed.
Comment 4 Hans de Goede 2010-06-09 03:31:35 EDT
Hi,

(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > 
> > 
> > Can you somehow find out what Ubuntu expects to find there, and what it is
> > finding there now ?
> > 
> Here is the log from fsck:
> Log of fsck -C3 -R -A -a 
> Tue Jun  8 17:18:30 2010
> 
> fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
> /dev/sdb7: clean, 80/82328 files, 182270/329268 blocks
> fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=161c3f5d-7754-453e-8542-bb399ff625ee'
> 
> fsck died with exit status 8
> 
> Tue Jun  8 17:18:30 2010
> ----------------
> 
> This error never came up before the aborted install of Fedora 13.  And it now
> persists even after a successful install of Fedora 13.
> 
> I believe /dev/sdb7 is a (20 GB) partition I used to try and install FreeBSD,
> but I am not sure.
> 

Ah, I see. What happened (I think) is that you re-used the space /dev/sdb7 occupied to install Fedora in. When you installed Ubuntu it recognized some sort of valid filesystem on /dev/sdb7 and added an entry for mounting it to /etc/fstab. That entry refers to /dev/sdb7 by the UUID of the filesystem, as /dev/sdb7 was re-used that filesystem no longer exists.

To fix this edit /etc/fstab (on ubuntu) and find a line which contains
UUID=161c3f5d-7754-453e-8542-bb399ff625ee, and remove this line.

Note editing /etc/fstab can be dangerous only remove that single line and make no other changes.

> > Please file a bug against IcedTea for this. Note that we will not ship non free
> > software, hence we use IcedTea.    
> I think with Fedora8, I downloaded Java 1.6 and installed it as unstructed on
> the download web-site.  And Java Web Start got installed, because Power E*Trade
> Pro started working.  This is a free Java download.
> 
> So is it not available at no charge to Fedora for bundling on the DVD?

It is not non free as in it costs money but it is not free software as in Freedom, see:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations#Freedom
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

> A bug against IcedTea has been filed.    

Thanks!

Regards,

Hans

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.