Bug 618954 - RFE: Services and Daemons: Provide a list of services/daemons along with descriptions of each
RFE: Services and Daemons: Provide a list of services/daemons along with desc...
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Classification: Red Hat
Component: doc-Deployment_Guide (Show other bugs)
6.0
All Linux
low Severity low
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Jaromir Hradilek
ecs-bugs
: Documentation, FutureFeature, Reopened
Depends On:
Blocks: 864163
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-07-28 03:31 EDT by Masahiro Ito
Modified: 2013-07-01 01:31 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-07-01 01:31:00 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Masahiro Ito 2010-07-28 03:31:46 EDT
Description of problem:

Can you add a list of whole RHEL 6 services (daemons) with service names and summaries? I expect information like this:

http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/03/09/understanding-your-red-hat-enterprise-linux-daemons/


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

Appendix A. Revision History
Revision 1 Mon Nov 16 2009 Douglas Silas dhensley@redhat.com
Initialization of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Deployment Guide
Comment 2 Jaromir Hradilek 2010-09-06 08:18:01 EDT
The current version of Section 6.2.1, "Using the Service Configuration Utility" includes the following paragraph:

"The [system-config-services] utility displays the list of all available services (i.e., both the services from the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory, and the services controlled by xinetd) along with their description and the current status. See Table 6.2, “Possible Service States” for a complete list of used icons and an explanation of their meaning."

In Red Hat Enterprise Linux, this utility is installed by default, and should always provide up-to-date information about each daemon in the system. Taking this into account, is it necessary to duplicate these information in Deployment Guide?
Comment 3 Douglas Silas 2010-09-07 17:01:11 EDT
Hi Masahiro,

As Jarek mentioned, most of the descriptions of daemons and services can be found in the system-config-services utility itself, or in the index of the Deployment Guide:

http://documentation-stage.bne.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/Deployment_Guide/index.html#id3498487

Those entries will refer you to the places where the service is described or used, in the relevant chapter.

If a service or daemon has been omitted from the index, we would be very interested in knowing so.

Thanks,

Silas
Comment 4 Masahiro Ito 2010-09-08 05:59:32 EDT
Hi Jarek and Douglas,

Thanks for your information. I see there are two aspects, the index and the descriptions.

>Those entries will refer you to the places where the service is described or
used, in the relevant chapter.

You mean both the index and description exist on Deployment Guide, right?
I'd like to check it, but I can't see the URL, perhaps it's Red Hat private site.
Can you tell me in which section the index is?

> http://documentation-stage.bne.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/Deployment_Guide/index.html#id3498487


Only with the system-config-services utility, I think it's not good enough. To use the utility, you have to install RHEL at first. And if you want descriptions of every daemon, you should make sure to install every daemon, because the utility can display descriptions about already installed daemon. So, I'd like to check if the description in Deployment Guide meets my demand.
Comment 5 Jaromir Hradilek 2010-09-15 10:49:16 EDT
Hi Masahiro,

and please, excuse my late reply.

(In reply to comment #4)
> You mean both the index and description exist on Deployment Guide,
> right?

At the moment, there is no such description in the Deployment Guide. However, since it already covers a large number of services available in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, the index page can serve as a quick overview of them.

> I'd like to check it, but I can't see the URL, perhaps it's Red Hat
> private site. Can you tell me in which section the index is?

You can see the latest version of the Controlling Access to Services chapter here:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-Controlling_Access_to_Services.html

The index for the Deployment Guide is located here:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ix01.html

> Only with the system-config-services utility, I think it's not good
> enough. To use the utility, you have to install RHEL at first. And
> if you want descriptions of every daemon, you should make sure to
> install every daemon, because the utility can display descriptions
> about already installed daemon. So, I'd like to check if the
> description in Deployment Guide meets my demand.

I have read through the article you have referenced in the bug description and it looks like a good overview. What I can do at the moment is to add a reference to the article in the list of additional resources. Additionally, I can improve the indexing, so that all the daemons mentioned in the Deployment Guide will be grouped under a single term, for example:

  D
  daemon (see service)

  S
  service
    - (see also service configuration)
    - abrtd, Installing and Running ABRT
    - atd, At and Batch
    - crond, Cron and Anacron
    ...
    - ypbind, Identity & Authentication

Please, let me know what you think.

Thank you!
Comment 6 Masahiro Ito 2010-09-17 08:00:32 EDT
Hi Jaromir,

Thank you for your reply.

(In reply to comment #5)

> I have read through the article you have referenced in the bug description and
> it looks like a good overview. What I can do at the moment is to add a
> reference to the article in the list of additional resources. Additionally, I
> can improve the indexing, so that all the daemons mentioned in the Deployment
> Guide will be grouped under a single term, for example:
> 
>   D
>   daemon (see service)
> 
>   S
>   service
>     - (see also service configuration)
>     - abrtd, Installing and Running ABRT
>     - atd, At and Batch
>     - crond, Cron and Anacron
>     ...
>     - ypbind, Identity & Authentication

This is a good idea, but still has a problem. This list is only for the daemons described in the Deployment Guide. The best way is to include all the daemons in RHEL 6.

I'd like to have the list of all daemons in RHEL 6. But if you cover most of the daemons with detailed descriptions, I think it's good enough. So, how about splitting this problem into two items below? Can you tell me your idea?

* the list of daemons with a one-line descriptions should cover all the daemons in RHEL 6
* the items in the list should have reference to the description in the Deployment Guide, if it exists. I'm talking about the descriptions which already exist.
Comment 7 RHEL Product and Program Management 2011-06-14 06:05:00 EDT
Development Management has reviewed and declined this request.  You may appeal
this decision by reopening this request.
Comment 9 Mitsuhiro Tanino 2013-07-01 01:31:00 EDT
Hi Red Hat team,

I close this bug for now because a priority of the bug changed low.
If this request will be needed, I will reopen this BZ.

Thanks,
Mitsuhiro Tanino

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.