Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 61948
couldn't print gb18030, couldn't open files in zh_CN.GB2312
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:38:01 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.2.1) Gecko/20010901
Description of problem:
Couldn't open files under zh_CN.GB2312 locale
Couldn't print GB18030 test files under zh_CN.GB18030 locale
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Set locale as zh_CN.GB2312 or zh_CN.GB18030
2.use gedit open gb18030 test files from:
Expected Results: should be able to open and print
Created attachment 50425 [details]
I updated a patch. please use this instead of current gedit-0.9.4-print.patch
I tried to open http://junk.brisbane.redhat.com/gb18030/double1.txt with gedit.
this file contains invalid characters with gb2312.
iconv -f gb18030 -t utf-8 double1.txt > double1.txt.utf8
iconv -f utf-8 -t gb2312 double1.txt.utf8 > double1.txt.gb2312
converting from UTF-8 to gb2312 was failed.
a reason which gedit can't open will relates this, I think.
If I change the gedit font to "fangsong ti" in GB2312 encoding, then
it seems to handle double1.txt basically OK, except that the text widget
doesn't redraw correctly. Force it to repaint by dragging another window over it
and the test file looks correct.
Has upstream seen the printing patch? What did they think?
double1.txt: only about 10% of the characters are shown in print preview
double2.txt: the first time I opened it and previewed ok, I killed printing
after 30 mins no response.
preview now becomes blank
all other test files' preview are blank.
Can we automatically create fontset for gedit according to different locales? I
remember llch had a patch for 7.2-tcsc, now we have to manually edit
~/.gnome/gedit's font part.
Yes. Can be customized by gettext. Havoc, is it possible to add the following?
RCS file: src/prefs.c,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -r1.1 src/prefs.c
< #define DEFAULT_FONTSET "-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*"
> #define DEFAULT_FONTSET _("-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*")
and "-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*" to following for po files.
gedit-0.9.4-print.patch is no longer needed for the latest gedit. our gedit was
released when gnome-print didn't fully supports UTF-8 yet. the latest gedit
works fine without this patch. but other patch will be needed though (we have
already that patch, and filed to bugzilla.gnome.org)
That DEFAULT_FONTSET gettextized patch is already commited into gedit 0.9.6
Good reason for gedit update in Hampton.
*** Bug 61959 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
We have already frozen the features...
This is a SHOULD-FIX bug, I'm not saying 'The newer, the better'.
Shao is looking at gedit as one of the applications we will use for the PRC GB18030 compliance test. We must pass the test to have a legal product for
China, so I would consider this a MUST-FIX. Printing the test files Shao has is one of the tests.
I'm having to remove all our current CJK patches on 0.9.7 upgrade due to
conflicts - so if there was anything in there that you didn't get upstream, it
is now not in there. You may want to double-check.
Anyway, building 0.9.7 now.
Created attachment 51084 [details]
we need this patch yet. as I said, this is same patch which is already filed to bugzilla.gnome.org
Created attachment 51085 [details]
and this. oh, no. 0.9.7 doesn't contain gettextize....
So that I reopen this bug.
0.9.7-2 contains these fixes.
It seems like 0.9.7-2 doesn't have gettextize patch...
Oops, it's saying that's available in upcoming 0.9.8 release.. Sorry.
We aren't going to upgrade to 0.9.8, though. The version freeze was two weeks ago.
0.9.7-3 contains the gettext patch.