Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 64287
Issues with Kickstart and ks.cfg via http
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:42:23 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.78 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.18-0.4 i686)
Description of problem:
There are (at least) three "issues" or bugs when I am starting a Kickstart
installation of RH7.2 where the ks.cfg file should be retrieved via http:
1. The Kickstart documentation
gives a wrong syntax. It should be: ks=http://<server>[:port]/<path>
2. anaconda's loader.c has a mini bug in line 2112. It is
logMessage("ks location: http:/%s/%s", ksPath, file);
and should be:
logMessage("ks location: http://%s/%s", ksPath, file);
3. anaconda's urls.c has an "issue" at the beginning of method
urlinstStartTransfer(). When I am using the URL http://server.example.com/ks.cfg
it actually looks for a file "/./ks.cfg" which is sort of ugly.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a boot floppy with dd if=bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0
2. Modify the created syslinux.cfg file on that floppy to use Kickstart by
(e.g.) changing the "text" install section to:
append ks=http:server.example.com:/ks.cfg initrd=initrd.img network
This is the wrong syntax from your documentation.
3. Boot a machine with that floppy.
4. Select "text installation" to trigger the Kickstart installation
5. After a while switch to virtual screen 3 to see the log messages
Actual Results: The machine will not even try to download the ks.cfg from a web
server. If you change the syntax of a:\syslinux.cfg from the one typed
in step 2. above to
append ks=http://server.example.com/ks.cfg initrd=initrd.img network
and repeat the process from above you will see that this syntax makes
the machine actually try to download the ks.cfg file.
Expected Results: I expect the machine to download the ks.cfg from my web
continue with its installation.
Thank you for the report, we'll get these corrected.
I addressed most the technical issues in this report.
I've forwards the documentation issue to docs.
The docs have been fixed for the http syntax.
Time tracking values updated