Bug 660135 - preupgrade fails because of disk space, won't allow to continue, and downloads over 200MB before I can try again
preupgrade fails because of disk space, won't allow to continue, and download...
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: preupgrade (Show other bugs)
14
x86_64 Linux
low Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Richard Hughes
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-12-05 14:13 EST by Louis van Dyk
Modified: 2012-08-16 16:02 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2012-08-16 16:02:12 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Louis van Dyk 2010-12-05 14:13:35 EST
Description of problem:
I run preupgrade-cli on Fedora 12 to Fedora 14.  After I make enough disk space, preupgrade-cli downloads vmlinuz, initrd.img and install.img.  It downloads the remaining rpm's and I reboot.  The process starts after I enter my encrypted filesystem password.  HOWEVER, it fails claiming that I have not got enough disk space.
HERE ARE THREE PROBLEMS:
1. If I CTRL-ALT-F2 to a shell prompt and MAKE enough disk space, I cannot continue the installation.
2. If I reboot now, I get a black screen and am not prompted for my LUKS password.
3. I have to re-run preupgrade-cli and it DOWNLOADS vmlinuz, initrd.img and install.img AGAIN - EVERY TIME IT FAILS.  I already HAVE these files.  Surely preupgrade doesn't have to get these every time?  It's over 200 MB of download - and I have a 384 k ADSL line.  It takes 2 HOURS.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
preupgrade-cli updating from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14.

How reproducible:
Every single time!

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run pre-upgrade, have enough disk space to download, then reboot.
2. Start the process, but receive an error that it fails because of disk space.
3. Switch consoles, and delete files from /root, for example.
4. Unable to continue the install.  Force a reboot.
5. Choose to Upgrade from the Grub menu.  You get to a black screen.  The notebook hangs so I power off.
6. Reboot to the old OS.  Re-run preupgrade-cli.  vmlinuz, initrd.img and install.img download AGAIN.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:
1.  Preupgrade should tell you the required disk space needed BEFORE you reboot to start the install!!
2.  Should the install fail because of disk space, there should be a button to allow the installation to continue once disk space has been made available.
3.  If preupgrade-cli is run again, don't download vmlinuz, initrd.img and install.img again.  Perhaps fetch an MD5SUM file and verify the existing file is the same, and only download if this test fails.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Andre Klapper 2010-12-12 09:38:58 EST
Same as bug 511878 - please mark as dup.
Comment 2 Louis van Dyk 2010-12-12 12:46:42 EST
I disagree.  Firstly, I have raised WAY more than bug 511878 and secondly, nobody is looking at bug 511878.  It has been around for a year and a half.

I made these points:
- Preupgrade should tell you the required disk space needed BEFORE you reboot
to start the install.  (This is the part that makes this sound as a duplicate.)
- Should the install fail because of disk space, there should be a button to
allow the installation to continue once disk space has been made available.  (Instead, at present, even if you make space available in the command line shell when you get the space error message, there is NO way to continue.)
- If preupgrade-cli is run again, don't download vmlinuz, initrd.img and
install.img again.  Perhaps fetch an MD5SUM file and verify the existing file
is the same, and only download if this test fails.  (This is the most frustrating part of the failure message.  It took HOURS to get the upgrade to run, just because every time I had an error - e.g. I was 20 meg short once!!!! - then pre-upgrade takes HOURS to download all the data AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN each time.)

511878 only refers to point 1.

I am making serious suggestions that are minor to implement:
- allow the installation to continue if you make space available 
- on re-running pre-upgrade, just check that you have the boot files first using MD5SUM *BEFORE* downloading everything again.
Comment 3 Andre Klapper 2010-12-13 06:40:02 EST
(In reply to comment #2)
> 511878 only refers to point 1.

One issue per one bug report.
Comment 4 Louis van Dyk 2010-12-13 06:46:42 EST
(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > 511878 only refers to point 1.
> 
> One issue per one bug report.

So how do I proceed?  I want the authors to make preupgrade work.  I don't want to have to download for hours after it fails because of an apparent lack of disk space.  

Thanks.
Comment 5 Fedora End Of Life 2012-08-16 16:02:15 EDT
This message is a notice that Fedora 14 is now at end of life. Fedora 
has stopped maintaining and issuing updates for Fedora 14. It is 
Fedora's policy to close all bug reports from releases that are no 
longer maintained.  At this time, all open bugs with a Fedora 'version'
of '14' have been closed as WONTFIX.

(Please note: Our normal process is to give advanced warning of this 
occurring, but we forgot to do that. A thousand apologies.)

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, feel free to reopen 
this bug and simply change the 'version' to a later Fedora version.

Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we were unable to fix it before Fedora 14 reached end of life. If you 
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version of Fedora, you are encouraged to click on 
"Clone This Bug" (top right of this page) and open it against that 
version of Fedora.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events.  Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.

The process we are following is described here: 
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.