Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 710509
Last modified: 2011-07-25 17:27:12 EDT
Now that we have a bit more breathing space before next release, I would like to ask upgrade our Hibernate library now.
Right now, we are using a relatively old Hibernate version - and an unreleased, custom patched one at that (3.2+)
If we upgrade Hibernate now, it would give us a good amount of time from now to release to see if we hit any issues.
Bryan K did this before which never made it into master. He emailed a patch to rhq-devel back in Jan 2010. Here's the thread:
Note, in the last message in the thread, he attached an updated revision
of the patch.
Dropping priority. Jay did some investigation here and iirc concluded it wasn't worth the effort right now. Jay please add links/details
I think we'll probably be better off waiting until JBAS7.1/EAP6 is out and using the version which ships with that.
I could have sworn I had updated this already but...
I had done some initial work on this upgrade and decided it was not worth the effort. The main issue is that a significant upgrade to Hibernate requires JPA2 support and that does not come with AS4.2.3, our current container. We could potentially have force-fitted it into place but I was not encouraged by posts I had seen on the web about others trying to do something similar.
We could try updating to the last version prior to the required JPA2 support, but again, it didn't seem like a big win.
So, a newer version of Hibernate should go hand in hand with our next container version upgrade, probably a leap to a thinned AS7+ at some point.