I have downloaded a number of tar source packages from gnome.or and other
sites for compliation on my RH6.1 system. After uncompressing the desired
program, the confiure script tries to determine the location and version of
gtk but fails to do so with the following message:
checking for gtk-config... (cached) /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.0.0... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
All the config.log files would say
printf("\n*** 'gtk-config --version' returned %d.%d.%d, but GTK+
1, 2, 5,
gtk_major_version, gtk_minor_version, gtk_micro_version);
printf ("*** was found! If gtk-config was correct, then it is
printf ("*** to remove the old version of GTK+. You may also be
able to fix the error\n");
printf("*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable,
or by editing\n");
printf("*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if
printf("*** required on your system.\n");
printf("*** If gtk-config was wrong, set the environment variable
printf("*** to point to the correct copy of gtk-config, and remove
the file config.cache\n");
printf("*** before re-running configure\n");
Upon consulting the rpm database I found that the following gtk packages
I had to go to gtk.org, download, make and install gtk 1.2.5 and glib
before a confiure script would recognize that gtk was 9installed on my
I have since reinstalled a custom installation. I went through the same sequence
and I am not expeeriencing the same problems.
It is not clear what was going on here, but since you
no longer have the problem, and since nobody else has
reported the problem, I'm closing the bug.
My best guess it that you were missing some other
-devel package that was needed to compile GTK+
programs, such as the development package for X.
For future reference, what would have been useful
would have been any compiler errors in config.log.
What you quoted indicated that there were some
errors, but didn't show what they were.
I don't see how I missing a lib since I performed the same installation and used
the exact same sequence.