Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 7218
How do I diagnose a Linuxconf Segmentation Fault
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:53 EDT
Linuxconf is consistantly giving a Segmentation Fault at startup. This
occurs if it is executed as an app inside X or if it is executed from the
What information can I provide to help diagnose the problem?
A backtrace is the first thing to try:
It's probably one of the modules broken; you can edit the /etc/conf.linuxconf
files and change, one at a time, the
module.list 1 <foo>
module.list 0 <foo>
Note: I suggest not modifying the treemenu or redhatppp lines, as I do
not think that they are implicated. I would start by looking at samba,
wuftpd, apache, and dnsconf. (You may not have all of those modules
listed, depending on what software you have installed.)
I found that Linuxconf is abending when SAMBA = 1. Attempted to use gdb to find
problem -- program exits with code 0377 and when I type "bt" the debugger
responds "no stack".
The treemenu build can be tought as a raw regression test. It is indeed
walking a lot of code in Linuxconf. Unfortunatly, when it fails, it is not
that helpful. In 1.16r10, the file /var/run/treemenu.log will be produced.
One line is appended (and flushed) to that file for every meny entry
processed. So if linuxconf fails while building its tree, we should have a clue
just by looking at that file. then we can disable the treemenu
linuxconf --unsetmod treemenu
and access linuxconf is visit the offending menu, run a debugger or contact
the mailing list or me se we can track this problem.
We'll be doing an official errata update based on 1.16r10 (or later)
after doing testing here, so we'll be able to use the treemenu.log
file to help figure out what's going wrong.
It looks like Linuxconf embedded binary in the configuration files at some point
in time. I am in the process of cleaning up the configuration files by hand --
is there a quick 'n' easy way to unpack just the configuration files to get a
I think that will be the easiest way for me to recover from this.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what "the configuration files" are in this
If you are talking about files like /etc/smb.conf, just remove them and
then reinstall the package (e.g. samba) with the --force option. It
won't hurt that you'll be overwriting the other files as well.
Thanks! I'll go ahead with that solution. I don't know what caused the
original corruption on the *.conf files -- if it happens again, I will document
what I was doing when the problem occurred and forward it to Bugzilla.
Go ahead and close out this problem.
OK, sounds good. If it happens again, particularly with the errata
release that we'll make Real Soon Now[tm] (I expect this week some
time), re-open this bug with as much information as you can find.
Thanks very much!
I had the problem that linuxconf would segv every time I ran it. After getting
the source from the rpm and compiling it, I found that it was simply missing a
configuration file, /usr/lib/linuxconf/redhat/conf.daemons. I copied it from
the source tree and it finally came up, although it was missing many daemon