From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.9) Gecko/20020513
Description of problem:
Upon initial post-upgrade (or fresh install) boot the system hangs and then
dumps on ieee1394 during the new hardware detection step. Hardware is a Sony
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Either install 7.3 and upgrade to null or do fresh install of null (7.3 does
not have this issue).
2. Reboot computer and observe the bootup steps.
3. Hangs at kudzu hardware detection and dumps ieee1394 info.
4. Reboot into single user and disable kudzu on bootup.
5. System boots fine, runs fine.
6. Run kudzu from command line and it dumps with stack trace first time only.
7. Rerun kudzu from command line, but no dumps.
8. Reactivate kudzu for run level 3 boot up.
9. Reboot with kudzu enabled gives dump and boot hang.
Created attachment 72867 [details]
kudzu dump and trace
Cute, the kernel oopsed.
This happens on my Sony VAIO GR series (315MP) laptop, too. Apparently, it is
a PCI IRQ routing issue, which can be tackled by using the ACPI kernel patch
from http://sf.net/projects/acpi/ (works for me).
*** Bug 74799 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 76303 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 77654 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 81108 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This problem which surprisingly has a NORMAL severity (on a system HANG???)
also occurs on Linux v9. I get the hang at "Initializing firewire controller
Is Linux really ready for prime time? This is a poor experience with first use
Thanks for the bug report. However, Red Hat no longer maintains this version of
the product. Please upgrade to the latest version and open a new bug if the problem
The Fedora Legacy project (http://fedoralegacy.org/) maintains some older releases,
and if you believe this bug is interesting to them, please report the problem in
the bug tracker at: http://bugzilla.fedora.us/