Description of problem:
A very frequent question asked when using RHN is: "Which channel(s) should I subscribe to, to get package X, for RHEL version Y".
For example, "I am running RHEL6. Which channel should I subscribe my system to if I want to install the 'rgmanager' package?"
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/channels/software/Search.do
2. Enter "rgmanager", select "In the following and hit "Search"
3. When shown results, click on "rgmanager"
10 pages of results (often many more, for some packages) are shown, which have to be painfully scrolled through page-by-page to identify all the channels providing the specified package. This is slow and user-unfriendly.
One, more or (preferably) all of the following additional search options are available:
- The first search screen allows constraining the search to (a|one or more) specified product(s) and major release(s) (e.g. RHEL5 and/or RHEL6)
- After a result set is produced, the ability to filter the result set by (a|one or more) product(s) and major release(s) (e.g. RHEL5 and/or RHEL6)
- An option (checkbox) "Show only latest version of package for a given channel" is available when searching for the package
It is possible to acquire this information via the API, but use of the API should not be necessary for simple end-user queries such as this.