Description of problem:
RHEL6.2 guest crash on RHEL5.7 xen host, both 32bit and 64bit, both HVM and PV
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install a HVM and a PV guest from RHEL6.2-20110921.1 tree (kernel-2.6.32-201.el6).
2. Boot the PV guest.
3. Boot the HVM guest with "tap:aio+xvda" disk param.
4. Boot the HVM guest with "file+hda" disk param and with xen_emul_unplug=never in guest kernel command line.
1. For step 2, the guest crash with the init process killed, show in RHEL6.2-20110921.1_pv.log.
2. For step 3, the guest crash at the same step as pv guest:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-201.el6.x86_64 #1
3. For step 4, the guest crash as RHEL6.2-20110921.1_HVM.png show.
The guest should be boot successfully at any of the three condition.
The RHEL6.2-20110921.1 boot successfully in baremetal machine.
Created attachment 524552 [details]
Created attachment 524553 [details]
1. Install HVM or PV guest from RHEL6.2-20110907.1 tree(kernel-2.6.32-195.el6), the guest works well after installation.
2. Upgrade the RHEL6.2-20110907.1 guest's kernel to kernel-2.6.32-201.el6, the guest can boot successfully.
Something wrong with initrd that installer (and not the only installer) from RHEL6.2-20110921.1 creates.
I've tried to install it on intel-mahobay-01.lab.bos.redhat.com while testing xen's smep patches:
virt-install -p -n rh62 -r 1024 -s 6 -f /var/lib/xen/images/rh62pv --nographics -l http://download.lab.bos.redhat.com/rel-eng/RHEL6.2-20110921.1/6.2/Server/x86_64/os
And have the same panic with guest log similar to RHEL6.2-20110921.1_pv.log.
Then I've copied 61 kernel and initrd to that vm and booted it successfully.
2. Manual creation of initrd, on installed RHEL6.2-20110921.1, doesn't helped either.
3. initrd created on rhel6.1 guest for RHEL6.2-20110921.1 kernel is correct, and I can boot guest with 2.6.32-201 kernel. And log has message:
blkfront: xvda: barriers disabled
xvda: xvda1 xvda2
=> dracut: Scanning devices xvda2 for LVM logical volumes vg_dhcp472/lv_root vg_dhcp472/lv_swap
whether guest that failed to boot doesn't have it.
So it is not kernel bug but rather dracut bug.
Changing component to dracut.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 740786 ***