Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 74936
orinoco_cs problem with when using SSL with wireless encryption enabled
Last modified: 2013-07-02 22:06:43 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.5 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20020809
Description of problem:
A very mysterious problem. When using a Lucent Wavelan PCMCIA Silver (64bit
encryption) card, if wireless incryption is enabled, https:// requests from
browser (mozilla/galeon/lynx) don't work. mozilla/galeon just hang, where lynx
gives ssl error.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Install Redhat8.0 on a laptop (i've used IBM ThinkPad 600E)
2.insert Lucent Wavelan Silver PCMCIA 802.11b card. This by default loads
3.Set the correct wireless parameters using iwconfig something like:
/sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid correctID key correctNumericalKey
4. Now start up a web browser and try accessing a https:// site for eg:
Actual Results: [balay@localhost balay]$ lynx https://mail.yahoo.com
Looking up mail.yahoo.com
Making HTTPS connection to mail.yahoo.com
Secure 168-bit TLSv1/SSLv3 (EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA) HTTP connection
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `https://mail.yahoo.com/'
Alert!: Unable to access document.
lynx: Can't access startfile
Access should go through.
This problem shows up with mozilla, galeon (no error messages, just hang most
of the time). I've tried a bunch of other https:// sites (including
The problem disappears when I do any of the following:
1.Disable encryption for wireless netowrk.
2.Use a wired (ethernet) network
3.use wvlan_cs driver instead of orinico_cs (This is the default for redhat 7.2
which has worked fine without problems for me)
4. Using an Orinoco Gold card with 128bit encryption.
Perhaps this bug report can be forwarded upsteam to orinoco_cs developers?
I still can't comprehend how 'a driver bug' (if thats what it is) can affect ssl
connections only. So far I have't seen any other weird behavior. Regular web
browsing is not affected. My ssh connections work fine.
I'm using an Orinoco Gold card with 128 bit encyption with a Linksys WAP11
access point, and I'm having this problem as well. It also affects the
operation of up2date, since it uses SSL. I didn't have this problem with 7.3.
I don't know if this is helpful, but this isn't an "Always" problem here. I have
8.0, an Orinoco Silver with WEP enabled using orinoco_cs, and I have no problem
getting to https sites. Running in Ad-Hoc mode. Happy to supply any more
relevant information if anyone can think of any.
Thanks for the bug report. However, Red Hat no longer maintains this version of
the product. Please upgrade to the latest version and open a new bug if the problem
The Fedora Legacy project (http://fedoralegacy.org/) maintains some older releases,
and if you believe this bug is interesting to them, please report the problem in
the bug tracker at: http://bugzilla.fedora.us/