Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 750245
Can't generate hello world pdf if type is Book on ubuntu 11.10
Last modified: 2011-11-28 21:21:15 EST
Description of problem:
Publican can't generate pdf if type is Book
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
publican 2.5 on Ubuntu 11.10
Steps to Reproduce:
$ publican create --type Book --name MyBook
$ cd MyBook
$ publican build --langs en-US --formats pdf
But no pdf generated even if it says :
Beginning work on en-US
Using XML::LibXSLT on /usr/share/publican/xsl/pdf.xsl
Making portrait pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.fop.util.ContentHandlerFactoryRegistry).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
I can confirm the problem, working with publican 2.5-2 on Ubuntu 11.10. The cause seems to be with the 'create' step, because projects I created before the upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 continue to build just fine.
Addendum: The problem seems to be with the corpauthor tag in the automatically generated file Book_Info.xml and the svg image that is referenced in it. I did some experiments:
- Remove the corpauthor tag in Book_Info.xml completely, including the tags inlinemedia, imageobject and imagedata inside of it: The pdf gets build fine.
- Remove the content of the corpauthor tag completely, but preserve the tag itself (e. g., "<corpauthor> </corpauthor>"): No pdf is generated, even though publican says that it did.
- Remove the content of the corpauthor tag and insert some dummy content (e. g., "<corpauthor>This is a test</corpauthor>"): The pdf gets build fine.
- Copy title_logo.svg over from an older project that continues to build fine (but which doesn't reference the svg image): No pdf is generated, even though publican says that it did.
- Throw together some little random svg image in Inkscape and reference it in the imagedata tag: No pdf is generated, even though publican says that it did.
- Remove the corpauthor tag completely from Book_Info.xml and insert the inlinemediaobject tag with the said random svg image somewhere else, e. g. in Chapter.xml: The pdf gets build fine.
- Keep the corpauthor tag removed and insert the said random svg image into the para tag that is inside the abstract tag: The pdf gets build fine.
- Let the imagedata tag inside the corpauthor tag reference some other, non-svg image, e. g. important.png: No pdf is generated, even though publican says that it did.
So I think there is a problem with images inside the corpauthor tag in Book_Info.xml. If you remove that corpauthor tag or at least use no images in it, you should be fine until this problem gets fixed.
Hi, this looks like an issue with FOP. FOP is always giving us a lot of problems, on every single platform, so it's hardly surprising Ubuntu finally got bit :(
It looks like FOP wants to complain about something in there but log4j isn't configured, or a component has been deprecated, or maybe moved to a different package that isn't being pulled in by default.
Assigning to Rudi who knows a more about FOP and Ubuntu than I do.
corpauthor tag has been fixed for 2.9 BZ #756864 and that seems to have fixed this issue as well.
FYI FOP being caught when dieing was fixed in 2.6 for BZ #661551
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 756864 ***