From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020830
Description of problem:
Upgraded a system from 7.3 to 8.0. Due to problems with VMware and scanner,
reinstalled 7.3. Now rhn-applet thinks I need to upgrade hundreds of packages,
rather than just the 7.3 errata
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Upgrade a system from 7.3 to 8.0
2. Register the system with RHN
3. Install 7.3 on the system
4. Look at the rhn-applet
Actual Results: rhn-applet wanted me to update hundreds of packages
Expected Results: rhn-applet should only have wanted me to update the packages
for which 7.3 has errata
Well, I tried exactly those steps, up to step 3/
Did you do an upgrade or a reinstall ?
As far as I can tell "downgrading" from 8.0 to 7.3 is not
a suppoted operation, and results in a seriously damaged system.
So if step 3/ is a complete reinstall, this mean you had
to reregister the system in RHN, is that right ?
What channels does the machine appear to be subscribed to ?
Okay I can't reproduce the problem.
I reinstalled the system with Red Hat 7.3, checked on the RHN
website, the system was listed after 2/ as being subscribed to the
8.0 base channel, after 3/ I had to rerun rhn_register since reinstalling
erases the existing configuration setup, and as soon as the registration
process finished, the machine was listed as subscribed to the 7.3 base
channel and had 53 packages to upgrade but that was normal.
I really don't see what happened, unless you provide more input I don't
see a way to reproduce the problem so far.
Perhaps "downgrading" would result in a "seriously damaged system", but I was
forced to do a complete reinstall of RH7.3 because doing the upgrade from RH7.3
to RH8.0 had *already* resulted in a "seriously damaged system".
After doing a fresh install of RH7.3, I did re-register with RHN. Since that
didn't work, I re-registered it again. To this day, it still claims that it
needs hundreds of packages upgraded.
If no solution to this can be found, I will request a refund of the price of my
> doing the upgrade from RH7.3
> to RH8.0 had *already* resulted in a "seriously damaged system".
Did you bugzilla those ?
> After doing a fresh install of RH7.3, I did re-register with RHN. Since that
> didn't work,
So something *else* failed. Can you explain why and how this
did not work ?
> I re-registered it again. To this day, it still claims that it
> needs hundreds of packages upgraded.
How did you register it ? With rhn_register ? What channels are
your machine subscribed to ?(you can find it from
and follow the link associated to your system)
It is likely to be a problem of RPM database cache incoherency left
after an upgrade. We have a fix for that which will be propagated in
rhn-applet >= 2.0.4
It's also the case that rhn-applet does not notice when you change to another
I just did the following sequence of steps:
1) Install Phoebe 8.0.92 (fully up2date'd) + a few updates (rhn-applet-2.0.7-1).
2) Start rhn-applet
3) Install redhat-release-8.0.93 from newer Phoebe
4) Run up2date -p
At this point rhn web site knows I am subscribed to the new Phoebe channel and
have a lot of outdated packages. But when I asked rhn-applet to check for
updates, it still showed me that I am fully up2date'd. Only after I restarted
up2date, it realized I had hundreds of updates available. So, one of the issues
is that rhn-applet does not notice when I change channel subscription under it.
1/ upgrading for beta releases is not supported
2/ upgrading redhat-release as a way to upgrade a machine
through RHN is also not supported.
If you want to upgrade a machine, only the installer/anaconda
process is supported. What you describe may not have worked,
but it's not supposed to work anyway.
The original bug for that this point out is fixed in Rawhide.
The added is resolved as a WONTFIX !