Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 802562
Scalability Testing: 99 applications/instances created - Monitor Overview shows 0 applications/instances (doc access issue?)
Last modified: 2012-12-20 11:01:40 EST
Description of problem:
Attempted to launch 170 instances (using the mock provider) in a scalability test. The 'Your Cloud Resource Zones' section shows that 99 of these instance were successfully launched. The 'Monitor' tab 'Overview' section however, shows 0 applications and 0 instances. ( See attached screenshot).
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Add 200 users to the aeolus database
2. Create a mock provider account in conductor
3. Build and push one image to the mock provider
3. (Using jmeter) 170 users concurrently log in, access the image, create a blueprint and launch that image (with hardware profile) to the mock provider
4. See that some instance launch successfully (others fail - Response message: Service Temporarily Unavailable messages - to be logged in another BZ)
5. Click on the Monitor tabe (/conductor/pools)
6. Note that the 'Your Cloud Resource Zones' section shows that 99 of these instance were successfully launched but the Overview section shows 0 applications or instances ( see attached screenshot).
rpm -qa |grep aeolus
Created attachment 569504 [details]
Overview zero instances
Were these instances launched by the current logged-in user (Administrator) or by another user? the 'monitor' overview is supposed to show "My Applications", etc. -- i.e. just those launched by the current user, so if these weren't logged in by the admin, this isn't a bug (except perhaps in the docs -- we should make the distinctioin clearer here vs. the Zone summary page that lists all the instances in the zone.
Scott, thanks for pointing out that difference.
Then Conductor does the right thing - the 'Monitor Overview' panel does reflect the instances launched by the user logged in.
I didn't think to go to the documentation to check this difference (at first) - so we can chalk this one up to 'user error' or 'user ignorance' however, I didn't see any help links in the conductor GUI - which are common in many technical GUI applications - and would have been useful in this case (and others).
Leaving this BZ open (for the moment) if dev decides there is more to do wrt adding easier, or more pointed, access to the doc. If not, I'm ok with closing this BZ 'NOTABUG'.
Yes, this is the second bug opened for this same issue, so we definitely need to be clearer either in docs or on the UI itself -- it's rather confusing as it is right now.
Increasing the usability of the UI should be addressed as part of the overall dashboard redesign.