Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 831060
Can't connect to wireless-n 5GHz (Intel iwlwifi 6200)
Last modified: 2012-06-14 16:53:00 EDT
Description of problem: Can't connect to Wireless-N on 5GHz
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): (output from dmesg)
[ 6.735324] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN, REV=0x74
[ 6.735468] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: L1 Enabled; Disabling L0S
[ 6.753049] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: device EEPROM VER=0x436, CALIB=0x6
[ 6.753054] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: Device SKU: 0x1F0
[ 6.753056] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: Valid Tx ant: 0x6, Valid Rx ant: 0x6
[ 6.753078] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg, 24 802.11a channels
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Attempt to connect to Wireless-N 5GHz network
Actual results: Fails - comes back to password dialogue.
Expected results: Should connect - used to work in F-16.
Router is a Netgear WNDR3500 dual radio (2.4GHz G, 5GHz N). I can connect to 2.4GHz G, but connection _always_ fails to 5GHz N.
WNDR-3700 I mean.
What kernel version are you using?
What sort of encryption are you using on your network?
Kernel version: kernel-3.4.0-1.fc17.x86_64
Network is setup to use WPA-2 (AES) encryption.
Please attach the contents of /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log and /var/log/messages from immediately after an unsuccessful connection attempt.
Thanks for pointing me at the logs. I've found the problem.
My WPA-2 password is a 64-char long auto-generated random string. The last character was a "\".
This was being saved incorrectly in the key-ring as a "'" character. This caused password authentication to fail.
I tried manually editing it a few times in NetworkManager without success.
I swapped the last 2 chars around and now I can connect.
This is quite strange - I've never experienced this problem in the past (had the exact same password on Fedora-16 and it was saved correctly in the key-ring).
Don't know exactly what the cause of this problem is. But as the connection works now, this issue can be closed.
>>I swapped the last 2 chars around and now I can connect.
(This also meant making the exact same change to the password on the router of course...)
Closing as NOTABUG, based on documented info in comment 6 and comment 7.
FWIW, I would guess that some other form of quoting/escaping would allow for the last character to be '\', but I think you current solution is as good as any. :-)
Thankyou for your help.