This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2016-08-01. It is expected to last about 1 hours
Bug 853396 - html edit button missing in editor
html edit button missing in editor
Status: ASSIGNED
Product: TCMS
Classification: Other
Component: Web UI (Show other bugs)
3.8.0
Unspecified Unspecified
high Severity urgent
: ---
: 4.0
Assigned To: Yang Ren
tools-bugs
: Regression
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-08-31 07:48 EDT by Martin Kudlej
Modified: 2016-06-23 00:36 EDT (History)
11 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Martin Kudlej 2012-08-31 07:48:13 EDT
Description of problem:
Please return direct editting of html to editor in Testcases/Testplans and so on. Current editor is quiet stupid, because it creates new paragraph after every hitting of enter and it creates strange spaces between lines.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Nitrate 3.8.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1

How reproducible:
100%

Steps to Reproduce:
1. paste test with 2 lines(there is no space between these 2 lines which is good because they are just 2 lines in one paragraph)
2. try enter another line to this text and it creates extra space because it is another paragraph as inserted text above
  
Actual results:
Every hit of enter ads new paragraph which was able to change via direct editing of html but button for it is no longer there.

Expected results:
It will be able to direct editing html of all texts which are edited by internal javascript editor. There will be button for direct html editing again.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Zheng Liu 2012-09-06 23:29:15 EDT
Hi,

Thanks for your report.
We disable html edit button in TCMS3.8.0 because of bug 820933. 
Please refer to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=820933 and you will find the reason on Comment 9.

Thanks
Comment 2 Martin Kudlej 2012-09-07 05:07:40 EDT
I understand your reasons to removing edit html button. But now editor outputs ugly document because every hit on enter produces new paragraph and creates big spaces between lines. Could you please fix this somehow or it is feature of TinyMCE?
Comment 3 Zheng Liu 2012-09-10 00:39:53 EDT
(In reply to comment #2)
> I understand your reasons to removing edit html button. But now editor
> outputs ugly document because every hit on enter produces new paragraph and
> creates big spaces between lines. Could you please fix this somehow or it is
> feature of TinyMCE?

I'm afraid it is a feature of TinyMCE. 
According to TinyMCE documentation, TinyMCE produced P tags on enter by default since all desktop and online word processors use the concept of paragraphs on enter and it also makes your content semantic.
However, there is a workaround for now. You can new a line with BR tag by Shift+Enter Key. I think it can resolve this problem.
Comment 4 yawei Li 2012-09-11 01:59:02 EDT
will consider how to support plain text, html and xml format in tcms 4.0.
Comment 5 Martin Kudlej 2012-09-26 05:05:43 EDT
I've found way how to edit directly html via Firebug. For example there is no button for adding pretty links. Yes, links are autodetected but if I have long link how do you produce nice link like this?
<a href="looong link">name</a>

Also maybe I'm blind but I haven't found documentation how to edit text in this editor on pages linked from question mark sign button(http://www.tinymce.com/).
Could you please add there link for edit reference.
Comment 6 Zheng Liu 2012-09-26 22:38:43 EDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> I've found way how to edit directly html via Firebug. For example there is
> no button for adding pretty links. Yes, links are autodetected but if I have
> long link how do you produce nice link like this?
> <a href="looong link">name</a>
> 

To produce nice link, you can input url name in editor first, then select it and edit the url info by clicking 'Insert/edit link' button.

> Also maybe I'm blind but I haven't found documentation how to edit text in
> this editor on pages linked from question mark sign
> button(http://www.tinymce.com/).
> Could you please add there link for edit reference.

You can refer to 'Full featured example' from http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php to learn how to edit text. 
And you can learn what you want via http://www.tinymce.com/ in my opinion.
Comment 7 Karel Volný 2012-10-18 12:38:31 EDT
there are far more annoyances with the editor than just those empty lines

it cannot understand sophisticated list structures for example (and I use list numbering a lot to match expected results to actions)

bug #820933 is no excuse ... if I could compare it to our work on RHEL, it's like you'd completely remove e.g. MySQL when an security issue in it is found, telling people that from now on they just have to live with another database server and rework all of their stuff to accomodate for that change, instead of just fixing that security issue
Comment 8 Zheng Liu 2012-10-19 01:20:55 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> there are far more annoyances with the editor than just those empty lines
> 
> it cannot understand sophisticated list structures for example (and I use
> list numbering a lot to match expected results to actions)
> 
> bug #820933 is no excuse ... if I could compare it to our work on RHEL, it's
> like you'd completely remove e.g. MySQL when an security issue in it is
> found, telling people that from now on they just have to live with another
> database server and rework all of their stuff to accomodate for that change,
> instead of just fixing that security issue

We will consider how to support plain text, html and xml format without causing security problem in tcms 4.0.

Actually, we have some ideas like using markdown, which allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, then convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML). 
The example link is:http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.