Bug 853780 - RHEL5 Online Storage Reconfiguration Guide - Some Typos
RHEL5 Online Storage Reconfiguration Guide - Some Typos
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide (Show other bugs)
5.10
All Linux
unspecified Severity low
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Jacquelynn East
ecs-bugs
: Documentation
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-09-02 15:56 EDT by Alexey Pakseykin
Modified: 2015-07-26 18:10 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-10-07 18:39:50 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Alexey Pakseykin 2012-09-02 15:56:58 EDT
Description of problem:

Online Storage Reconfiguration Guide

URL: https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/index.html

=== 1 ===

Section: 1.2. Configuring an iface for Software iSCSI

There is word "Before" hanging as a paragraph on its own (it follows right after the first paragraph).

=== 2 ===

Section: 1.2. Configuring an iface for Software iSCSI

Line:
iscsiadm -m iface -I iface_name --op=update -n iface.setting -v hw_address
Instead, it should be:
iscsiadm -m iface -I iface_name --op=update -n iface.setting -v value
It is a command template to set a "value" for a "setting". The "hw_address" is something specific to the example which follows later in the document.

=== 3 ===

Section: 12. Scanning iSCSI Interconnects

Text & Example:
At this point, you now have the proper --targetname and --portal values needed to manually scan for iSCSI devices. To do so, run the following command:
iscsiadm --mode node --targetname proper_target_name --portal ip:port,target_portal_group_tag \   --login

The text and example seem inconsistent. The text says about "scanning" while example uses "--login" (this is "12. Scanning iSCSI Interconnects" section). I'm not sure whether it is really wrong, but "--login" is explained thoroughly in the next section "13. Logging In to an iSCSI Target".
Comment 1 RHEL Product and Program Management 2013-05-01 02:52:55 EDT
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for
inclusion in the current release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Because the affected component is not scheduled to be updated
in the current release, Red Hat is unable to address this
request at this time.

Red Hat invites you to ask your support representative to
propose this request, if appropriate, in the next release of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Comment 2 Jacquelynn East 2013-05-15 21:47:15 EDT
(In reply to comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> 
> Online Storage Reconfiguration Guide
> 
> URL:
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/
> html-single/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/index.html
> 
> === 1 ===
> 
> Section: 1.2. Configuring an iface for Software iSCSI
> 
> There is word "Before" hanging as a paragraph on its own (it follows right
> after the first paragraph).
> 

Before has been removed.


> === 2 ===
> 
> Section: 1.2. Configuring an iface for Software iSCSI
> 
> Line:
> iscsiadm -m iface -I iface_name --op=update -n iface.setting -v hw_address
> Instead, it should be:
> iscsiadm -m iface -I iface_name --op=update -n iface.setting -v value
> It is a command template to set a "value" for a "setting". The "hw_address"
> is something specific to the example which follows later in the document.

The "hw_address" is a replaceable field, as shown by how it is in italics, the same way "iface_name" is in italics. This means that in following the instructions, these fields need to be changed. As such I am leaving this here as it is an example of what can be put there and it makes sense to have it relate to a later example so a user can see how that field carries over.


> 
> === 3 ===
> 
> Section: 12. Scanning iSCSI Interconnects
> 
> Text & Example:
> At this point, you now have the proper --targetname and --portal values
> needed to manually scan for iSCSI devices. To do so, run the following
> command:
> iscsiadm --mode node --targetname proper_target_name --portal
> ip:port,target_portal_group_tag \   --login
> 
> The text and example seem inconsistent. The text says about "scanning" while
> example uses "--login" (this is "12. Scanning iSCSI Interconnects" section).
> I'm not sure whether it is really wrong, but "--login" is explained
> thoroughly in the next section "13. Logging In to an iSCSI Target".

I'm inclined to agree here but will need to check to ensure that removing the login option won't affect the functionality of the command.
Comment 3 Jacquelynn East 2013-05-16 21:31:50 EDT
From an email from cleech:

"When the iscsiadm --login option is applied to a discovery command, it
simply combines the two steps of discovering target portals and logging
in to them.

So it could be left of off the discovery step, which would populate the
database and leave login to a seperate step."

As such I've decided to remove --login from the main body of the text and add a note explaining the above so users will know it is possible, but not required. And hopefully avoid the confusion of it being included when logging in is detailed in the following chapter.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.