From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030225
Description of problem:
Originally I wanted to report an annoyance with gnome-dictionary--it opens up
its dictionary window when I login just because I've got the dictionary prompter
loaded on my GNOME panel. So I fired up Mozilla and visited the RH Bugzilla site.
I was waiting for the RH Bugzilla to open and I decided to install Galeon and
mozilla-chat while I waited. I figured there was no interference with
this--loading a webpage shouldn't interfere with installing a couple apps. I
began to install both apps from the Add/Remove Applications application and
there was no sign of trouble.
As that was installing, the Bugzilla webpage was rendering and I went to type
the rpm instruction into the shell to learn what version of gnome-dictionary I
was dealing with. RPM told me gnome-dictionary couldn't be found. The exact
RPM returned data is below.
But gnome-dictionary IS installed--it is still on my system and I can run it
from the command line (but now it does not annoyingly open the window when I run
"gnome-dictionary" or "gnome-dictionary -a" like the GNOME panel does). The
mozilla-chat and Galeon install completed without incident.
So I'm at a loss on what to say about this. Is this an RPM bug? A
gnome-dictionary bug? A Galeon or mozilla-chat package bug? Multiple bugs?
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Didn't try (the problem is hard for me to reproduce)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. I installed RH9 workstation and told the installer to wipe out all partitions.
2. I updated the system from up2date.
3. I saw the annoying gnome-dictionary behavior and (on a completely unrelated
activity) installed mozilla-chat and Galeon from Add/Remove Applications.
4. gnome-dictionary disappears from system as far as RPM is concerned, but the
gnome-dictionary application still runs (thus introducing an inconsistency
between what's on the system and what's in RPM's database).
Actual Results: gnome-dictionary disappeared from the RPM list of what's
installed in the system (see "rpm -qif" and "rpm -q" returns below).
Expected Results: I expected gnome-dictionary to remain untouched. After all,
what does installing Galeon or mozilla-chat have to do with gnome-dictionary?
The lack of sync between the RPM database and what's on my system makes me quite
uneasy. I can't trust the system to handle installing or removing packages
anymore because the list of what's installed is untrustworthy.
Here's what RPM told me when I asked it to tell me about gnome-dictionary:
$ rpm -qif gnome-dictionary
error: file gnome-dictionary: No such file or directory
$ rpm -q gnome-dictionary
package gnome-dictionary is not installed
gnome-dictionary remains installed as far as I can tell: I can run it and the
man page for gnome-dictionary is still installed.
rpm manages packages, not files.
Did you install gnome-dictionary form a package or
did you install the files through some other means?
I can only assume gnome-dictionary was installed with RH9 in the "workstation"
set of packages. I did nothing to indicate I wanted it, I merely installed RH9
and it was there.
When I installed galeon and mozilla-chat I noticed the package for
gnome-dictionary had disappeared from RPMs catalog of installed packages. I
don't know why gnome-dictionary's entry in RPM's database vanished. The files
for gnome-dictionary are still installed on the system because I'm running
gnome-dictionary in my GNOME panel right now. But the package data is gone
("rpm -qi gnome-dictionary" says "package gnome-dictionary is not installed".
By contrast "rpm -qi mozilla" gives me info about mozilla's entry in the RPM
I don't see an rpm problem here, so I'm reassigning to
gnome-utils in case there is a packaging problem with
gnome-dictionary is part of the package gnome-utils. rpm -q gnome-utils should
work for you. Or rpm -qf /usr/bin/gnome-dictionary.