Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 961624
Dashboard filter(s) in jBPM Dashboard need to be reconfigured for better clarity
Last modified: 2014-08-06 16:08:53 EDT
Description of problem:
Some properties that are displayed by KPI panels in jBPM Dashboard are not enabled in Dashboard filter panel.
As a result, it is possible to do drill down based on data displayed in KPI panels (e.g. click some date in chart "Tasks started by date") BUT then there is no indication, that some filter is active. It is possible to clear the filter by clicking "Clear" in the Dashboard Filter panel to delete all filters - but this is not at all obvious, because no indication is given to the user, that some filter is active.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Download dashboard-builder from github and run quickstart demo as described in the "Quickstart" section
2. Fill in the dashbuilder datasource with sample jBPM data (as described in https://github.com/droolsjbpm/dashboard-builder/blob/master/modules/README.md#jbpm-process-dashboard)
3. Browse to http://localhost:8080/dashbuilder/ and login with root/root
4. Using administration menu at the top navigate to Workspace: jBPM Dashboard, Page: Process dashboard
5. Select some chart with property, that is not enabled in the Dashboard filter - e.g. in the panel "Number of task instances" click some bar (e.g. bar for Task 1).
The click on "Task 1" bar activates the drill-down, but the filtered property is not visible in the Dashboard filter. Now although the data displayed in some KPI panels are limited to only data related to Task 1, it is not indicated in the DashboardFilter that filter is active and no explicit way is given to the user to cancel the filter (browser back button doesn't work in this context) - only "Clear" button, but nothing points the user that he can use this button.
I see 2 possibilities:
1) the filter should be reconfigured to enable all the properties of the charts on the page, so that they are displayed in "Filtered properties" of the Dashboard Filter panel, when the drill-down is activated. I realize, that this would probably call for a bit larger reconfiguration of the application involving also the configuration of Data providers. Because there are some properties obtained from different Data providers that have the same name (e.g. both providers "jBPM Process Summary" and "jBPM Task Summary" contain property named "Start date" - in this case the properties should be renamed to "Process start date" and "Task start date" respectively).
2) the other option that I can imagine would be to put some generic indication, that some filter is activated even for properties, that are not enabled in the Dashboard filter. E.g.:
filter is active
(click Clear to cancel the filter)
Property names from jBPM related data providers should be revised for better clarity. For example "Name" should be renamed to "Process name" to avoid confusion with user name etc.
The property names for jBPM related data providers, they had been reviewed too and renamed for better clarity.
About filter properties:
- Actually we accept the first option: reconfigure filter properties. So, filter properties had been reconfigured and for the jBPM dashboard.
- About the second option, it's a good idea, a new feature request has been created in order to achieve that goal: display all filtered properties in a dashboard. See https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-4045
Verified with BPMS 6.0.0 ER2
Marked doc text as '-' as this is a new feature and should not be included in the resolved issues of the release notes.