Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 963208
NullPointerException when trying to delete duplicated workspace
Last modified: 2014-08-06 16:12:56 EDT
Created attachment 748240 [details]
Step 5 to reproduce the problem - creating panels in page region CENTER_3
Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
always, using dashboard showcase (jetty based) and the default H2 datasource
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Build application from sources on github and start quickstart demo using buildandrun_h2.sh as described in readme
2. Login with root
3. Navigate to workspace "Showcase" and click the button "Duplicate workspace" in the administrator bar in the top.
4. Using administrator bar in the top switch to the duplicated workspace "Copy of Showcase", select "Home" page
5. Create the following 2 new panels using "Create a new panel in current page" in the administrator bar in the top and put them into page region CENTER_3 (see attached printscreen):
1 instance of "HTML Editor" and
1 instance of "Data provider manager"
6. Now try to delete the duplicated workspace - click "Delete selected workspace", confirm alert "Delete selected workspace" with OK.
"Unexpected Error" modal dialog appears. Exception appears in the application log (see attachment).
Selected workspace should be deleted without errors
Created attachment 748241 [details]
Unextected error dialog after clicking "Delete selected workspace"
Created attachment 748242 [details]
Application log with the exception
Sorry - forgot to insert description of the problem:
After creating duplicate of workspace and addint some panels, when you try to delete the duplicated workspace, Unexpected Error dialog appears, with NullPointerException.
Unfortunately I can't reproduce it.
I've exactly proceed as indicated, but when deleting the duplicated workspace no error is thrown.
Can you please try to reproduce it with the latest version?
Notice that we have recently upgraded to Hibernate 4.2.0.Final in order to align dependencies with EAP 6.1.
As a said before it's not reproducible.
May be it's related with the following bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=966897 which has been also fixed.
I tested with dashbuilder DR5 deployed on EAP 6.1 and as before, I managed to reproduce the issue with 100% confidence in both automated and manual tests.
I made some observations, that might help you isolate the issue:
1) It is necesary that panels are created in the region CENTER_3 (because, like CENTER_6 it displays tabs in a specific way - showing just 1 panel + only header of the remaining tabs)
2) It is necesary to create the HTML panel BEHIND the the first panel
From this it seems, that error happens because of HTML panel being "hidden" behind the first panel for the error to occur when the "Delete workspace" is performed.
I attach a video of exact reproducing steps for your convenience.
Created attachment 763815 [details]
Steps to reproduce - video
Actually I found even simpler sequence to reproduce the problem based on observations mentioned in Comment 7:
1) Start the dashbuilder and go to Showcase - page Pipeline analysis (i.e. page with panels in region CENTER_3)
2) Add new "HTML Editor" panel to region center 3 - drag "Create panel" directly to dark-grey region with label CENTER_3 (not to one of the light-greyed ones) - this creates it as a last "tab" in region CENTER_3.
3) Having workspace Showcase selected, click "Delete selected workspace"
--> The Unexpected error occurs.
Indeed, was failing with workspaces containing empty HTML panels.
Now, it's fixed.
Github commit: https://github.com/droolsjbpm/dashboard-builder/commit/9870d69095dc2ae7bfa95bfe556f95ab3ab96f23
OK, verified in BPMS 6.0.0.DR6 deployed on EAP 6.1