Bug 97098 - Bug on POST request cripples mod_perl-1.99_07
Bug on POST request cripples mod_perl-1.99_07
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: mod_perl (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Gary Benson
David Lawrence
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2003-06-10 08:35 EDT by mick szucs
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:54 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2003-06-11 07:56:08 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description mick szucs 2003-06-10 08:35:12 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686) Gecko/20030311 Galeon/1.3.3

Description of problem:
There's a known bug in mod_perl-1.99_07 that ships with Redhat 9 that truncates
POST requests after the first 8192 characters.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Try this little script from inside Apache:

read (STDIN, $in, $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'}); 
print "Content Length: $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'}\n\n<P>\n"; 
print "Data Input: $in\n\n<P>\n"; 
print "Data Length: ", length $in; 

2.  Set apache directives 'SetHandler perl-script; PerlHandler
ModPerl::Registry::handler' to execute it from within mod_perl, and POST > 8192
bytes to it.

Actual Results:  You only get back the first 8192 bytes of whatever you POSTed.

Expected Results:  If you run it under apache directive 'SetHandler cgi-script'
(mod_cgi) it works like it should.  You get back the entire content of your POST.

Additional info:

It's a known bug in mod_perl.  Please provide a working mod_perl for Redhat 9
(or better still, Apache 1.3/mod_perl 1.2, which are generally known not to suck.)

http://perl.apache.org/dist/mod_perl-2.0-current/Changes - note the entry about
"fix the method content() in Apache::compat to read a whole request body."

mod_perl-1.99_09 is in Rawhide, please provide a Redhat 9 compatible version.

Comment 1 Gary Benson 2003-06-11 07:56:08 EDT
Please build yourself a copy of the one from rawhide.
Comment 2 Bill Marrs 2003-06-25 18:09:12 EDT
This mod_perl bug is causing a lot of trouble on my websites.  It was subtle 
enough to slip by our testing, so we went ahead with upgrading the production 
sites to RH9.  Now, I've got piles of users complaining that their forum posts 
are being lost.  I did find a rawhide mod_perl-1.99_09 rpm, but it's not 
compatible, and I don't know how to "build yourself a copy of the one from 

I think it would be really helpful if Red Hat could build a RH9 compatible 
mod_perl-1.99_09 and put it into the update pipe.

Otherwise, I'm looking at bulding from source Perl/Apache/mod_perl/etc... to 
get this fixed.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.