Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 973311
Agent should support sending inventory and collection data to server on a user defined schedule or interval
Last modified: 2015-01-05 15:00:09 EST
I want to collect metrics on managed resources but do not care about (near) real-time availability of those resources.
1. user registers agent with server
2. user initiates off-line mode
3a. user manually syncs inventory reports, metrics
3b. user sets sync schedules, hourly, daily
I'm not sure I understand what the benefit is that you are looking for with an offline agent. What do you gain with offline? Or, put another way, what is the downside of the online agent?
Regardless, this won't make it into 3.3, pushing.
I can think of another use case:
1. JON can be used as a generic data aggregator. For example I want to collect CPU usage of 10 servers at high frequency (ex. 15 second interval) and so I can view graphs of such data as a function of time for troubleshooting/analysis. I don't want to bother with availability checks, late/miss collections.
2. Optionally define a sync window that the agent can upload data
3. As a manual operation I can import or 'pump' agent offline data in json format to JON server
Moving to JON4 as architectural input.
Agent's already have a "off-line" capability. I think the difference here is that the current feature only kicks in when the agent is unable to reach its server. It probably does make sense that a sync window/schedule be supported which allows the agent to only connect and send its data to a JBoss ON server at a predetermined interval.
Additionally, a toggle to enable and disable specific monitoring components without having to modify the actual collection schedules. For example:
- Perform Discovery Scans? Yes / No
- How often to send inventory data to server: default / ?? minutes/hours/days
- Perform Availability Checks? Yes / No
- How often to send availability data to server: default / ?? minutes/hours/days
- Perform Metric Collection? Yes / No
- How often to send metric data to server: default / ?? minutes/hours/days
- Perform Event Monitoring? Yes / No
- How often to send event data to server: default / ?? minutes/hours/days
- Perform Drift Scanning? Yes / No
- How often to send drift data to server: default / ?? minutes/hours/days