Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 99080
Default installation of sendmail can't send mail: no route to host
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:55:39 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030529
Description of problem:
After installing redhat 9, I am unable to send mail. Using eg.
mail -s "test mail" email@example.com
will result in the mail sitting in the queue with the message "no route to
host". This would initially seem like a DNS issue, however dig can get all the
information on any domain, including MX information. Any website is browsable.
I have tried this on three separate, successive installations of RedHat 9. The
security settings are medium, and SMTP is allowed.
I have tried uninstalling sendmail and re-installing
I have tried altering the following sendmail settings
by editing sendmail.mc and running m4 to generate a new configuration.
I have tried sending mail from pine, first altering the configuration so that it
sends via my ISP's SMTP server. This also fails.
Other computers on the same network segment can send mail, so the ISP is not
blocking port 25.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install redhat
2. Try to send mail
Actual Results: mail is not sent
I can't imagine this is a widespread bug, or else everyone would have complained
about it. I think it must therefore be something specific to my configuration,
although I can't think what.
OK, I think I've figured it out. Its to do with the way sendmail treats hostnames.
When you install RH9, it asks you for a hostname which the installer writes into
The entry into /etc/hosts seems to confuse sendmail. Removing the entry
containing the hostname allows sendmail to work.
If you called your machine rh9box on install, you'll have the following in your
127.0.0.1 rh9box localhost.localdomain localhost
This should read
for sendmail to work. Now the question is does anything else break when you
Looks like a config problem, closing bug.
Florian La Roche
Of course its a config problem. My point was that it was a config problem
introduced by the Redhat Installer. i.e. the installer disables sendmail's
ability to send mail. Which kind of negates its purpose. Anyway, I've done my
duty reporting it.