Bug 997531 - FTBFS: "Revert `Move to /usr' transition" broke builds on PPC
FTBFS: "Revert `Move to /usr' transition" broke builds on PPC
Status: CLOSED EOL
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: glibc (Show other bugs)
20
powerpc Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Carlos O'Donell
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-08-15 10:14 EDT by Karsten Hopp
Modified: 2016-11-24 07:21 EST (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-06-29 21:23:12 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Karsten Hopp 2013-08-15 10:14:13 EDT
Description of problem:
+ librtkaioso=librtkaio-2.17.90.so
+ cmp -s rtkaio/librtkaio.so ../build-ppc-redhat-linux/rtkaio/librtkaio.so
+ cp -a rtkaio/librtkaio.so /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/rtkaio/../librtkaio-2.17.90.so
+ ln -sf librtkaio-2.17.90.so /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/rtkaio/../librt.so.1
+ mkdir -p /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/power6x
+ pushd /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/power6x
+ ln -sf '../power6/*.so' .
+ cp -a '../power6/*.so.*' .
cp: cannot stat '../power6/*.so.*': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.n7eaaa (%install)
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.n7eaaa (%install)
Child return code was: 1

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
glibc-2.17.90-13.fc20 glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. ppc-koji build --scratch f20 glibc-2.17.90-13.fc20.src.rpm
2.
3.

Actual results:
http://ppc.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1329248

Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-16 13:05:07 EDT
(In reply to Karsten Hopp from comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> + librtkaioso=librtkaio-2.17.90.so
> + cmp -s rtkaio/librtkaio.so ../build-ppc-redhat-linux/rtkaio/librtkaio.so
> + cp -a rtkaio/librtkaio.so
> /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/rtkaio/../librtkaio-
> 2.17.90.so
> + ln -sf librtkaio-2.17.90.so
> /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/rtkaio/../librt.so.1
> + mkdir -p /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/power6x
> + pushd /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/glibc-2.17.90-14.fc20.ppc/lib/power6x
> + ln -sf '../power6/*.so' .
> + cp -a '../power6/*.so.*' .
> cp: cannot stat '../power6/*.so.*': No such file or directory
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.n7eaaa (%install)
>     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.n7eaaa (%install)

Thanks, looking into this.
Comment 2 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-21 15:02:42 EDT
Running builds.
Comment 3 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-23 15:32:49 EDT
Still not resolved. Will get back on this on Monday.
Comment 4 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-28 00:55:15 EDT
Patch in testing.
Comment 5 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-29 01:18:03 EDT
Should be fixed now. Tested and fixed build on ppc64 system.

Kicked off build on primary arches:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=5867880

commit db59a6354f0e1e4f2088882b4ec58609c6b2890e
Author: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>
Date:   Thu Aug 29 00:36:52 2013 -0400

    Fix Power build (#997531).
Comment 6 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-29 01:19:21 EDT
How can I force the ppc-koji instance to build something before waiting for it to pickup the primary build as a shadow build?

`ppc-koji build f21 ./path/to/final.src.rpm?'
Comment 7 Karsten Hopp 2013-08-29 07:41:31 EDT
Hi Carlos,

Only koji admins are allowed to build from a srpm, and fedpkg has no support for secondary archs. But you can build from git like this:

ppc-koji build f21 `fedpkg giturl`

I've changed the version to f20, this bugzilla was opened before the f20 branching and that's where we need the fixed glibc. 
I've tried a scratch build and noticed that you wouldn't be able to build the new glibc because some other package needs to build first (with the new glibc in the buildroot), a nice dependency loop. So I took the liberty and merged your patch into f20, it looks simple enough to not mess up anything on primary and built it on PPC and primary.
Thanks a lot !
Comment 8 Carlos O'Donell 2013-08-29 10:56:57 EDT
(In reply to Karsten Hopp from comment #7)
> Hi Carlos,
> 
> Only koji admins are allowed to build from a srpm, and fedpkg has no support
> for secondary archs. But you can build from git like this:
> 
> ppc-koji build f21 `fedpkg giturl`

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

> I've changed the version to f20, this bugzilla was opened before the f20
> branching and that's where we need the fixed glibc. 

Right I was going to put this into f20 once I had confirmation that it really did fix things (I expected it to because I built it by hand on a ppc system)...

> I've tried a scratch build and noticed that you wouldn't be able to build
> the new glibc because some other package needs to build first (with the new
> glibc in the buildroot), a nice dependency loop. So I took the liberty and
> merged your patch into f20, it looks simple enough to not mess up anything
> on primary and built it on PPC and primary.
> Thanks a lot !

... but you've already put the patch into f20, which is fine. It's a tiny patch and a minor mistake on my part. I wasn't building the additional runtimes during testing to avoid the overhead.

It also looks like everything built correctly...
http://ppc.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=193483
Comment 9 Fedora End Of Life 2015-05-29 05:19:24 EDT
This message is a reminder that Fedora 20 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 20. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as EOL if it remains open with a Fedora  'version'
of '20'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version.

Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that we were not 
able to fix it before Fedora 20 is end of life. If you would still like 
to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it against a later version 
of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 'version' to a later Fedora 
version prior this bug is closed as described in the policy above.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Comment 10 Fedora End Of Life 2015-06-29 21:23:12 EDT
Fedora 20 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2015-06-23. Fedora 20 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.

If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version. If you
are unable to reopen this bug, please file a new report against the
current release. If you experience problems, please add a comment to this
bug.

Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.