Bug 111464

Summary: segfault running 'pear' with heavily modified php.ini; no problem with stock php.ini
Product: [Retired] Red Hat Linux Reporter: Jeff MacDonald <jam>
Component: phpAssignee: Joe Orton <jorton>
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE QA Contact: David Lawrence <dkl>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: 9   
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-12-05 08:08:18 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---
Attachments:
Description Flags
heavily modified php.ini none

Description Jeff MacDonald 2003-12-03 23:23:07 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.1)
Gecko/20031114

Description of problem:
I have a heavily modified php.ini installed on a production machine
called 'toast'. when I try to run 'pear help', I get a segfault. when
I install the "stock" php.ini, I don't get a segfault. I am not
certain what option I have changed that causes this, but it shouldn't
segfault.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
php-4.2.2-17.2

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. pear help
2. segfault
3.
    

Actual Results:  segfault

Expected Results:  help screen


Additional info:

Comment 1 Jeff MacDonald 2003-12-03 23:24:15 UTC
Created attachment 96328 [details]
heavily modified php.ini

Comment 2 Jeff MacDonald 2003-12-03 23:32:15 UTC
for some reason, I had two copies of php installed, so I nuked them
both, and installed php-4.2.2-17.2 using up2date. I get a segfault
every time I run pear.

I went to the pear website, and installed the latest version of pear
(1.3b2), and I still get the segfault.

note that I am using php in production on toast, and I don't have any
problems, so this is somehow pear specific.


Comment 3 Joe Orton 2003-12-04 09:27:42 UTC
The problem is that "pear help" uses fopen('php://stderr', 'w'), which
fails when allow_url_fopen = Off in 4.2, and then goes on to segfault
when an invalid file handle is passed to fputs.

This appears to be fixed in 4.3.

Comment 4 Jeff MacDonald 2003-12-05 01:07:12 UTC
yay! :).. that seems to have fixed it.. I also needed to allow for
register_argc_argv, but the problem went away when I updated a couple
of settings. thanks for the assistance.


Comment 5 Joe Orton 2003-12-05 08:08:18 UTC
Thanks.  Closing this, it's fixed in Fedora Core 1 (and RHEL3).