|Summary:||Packages samba-common for i686 and x86_64 are inconsistent|
|Product:||Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7||Reporter:||Marek Hruscak <mhruscak>|
|Component:||samba||Assignee:||Andreas Schneider <asn>|
|Status:||CLOSED ERRATA||QA Contact:||Robin Hack <rhack>|
|Version:||7.1||CC:||asn, bash, gdeschner, javabrett, jrivera, lampe, mbanas, rbiba, rhack, thomas.oulevey, tru|
|Fixed In Version:||samba-4.2.2-1.el7||Doc Type:||Known Issue|
Binaries in the samba-common.x86_64 and samba-common.i686 packages contain the same file paths but differ in their contents. As a consequence, the packages cannot be installed together, because the RPM database forbids this scenario. To work around this problem, do not install samba-common.i686 if you primarily need samba-common.x86_64; neither in a kickstart file, nor on an already installed system. If you need samba-common.i686, avoid samba-common.x86_64. As a result, the system can be installed, but with only one architecture of the samba-common package at a time.
|Last Closed:||2015-11-19 09:10:38 UTC||Type:||Bug|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
|Bug Depends On:|
Comment 3 Michael Lampe 2015-04-04 23:35:55 UTC
Thousands of foo.x86_64 and foo.i686 packages contain the same files in /usr/bin but differ in their contents. Of course they do. RPM resolves this by prefering the x86_64 binary. That's how biarch works and always has worked. That you can only install one flavour of samba-common in el7 is a clear packaging bug.
Comment 4 Benjamin Ash 2015-04-06 16:56:40 UTC
We are currently blocked/hobbled by this issue since we set Yum's multilib_policy to 'all', and then perform a group installation of a group that includes 'samba-common'. I noticed the previous release of CentOS 7's yum repository does not contain samba-common.i686 (any build), but the latest one repo does. Perhaps samba-common.i686 could be removed from the repos. As a work around we had to 'exclude' samba-common.i686 from all repos providing it.
Comment 8 Brett Randall 2015-11-03 08:42:05 UTC
In a package-update scenario, I worked-around this by removing the samba packages and then reinstalling them after the update completed, but using the full package-version-arch names (on an x86_64 system): $ yum remove samba-winbind-client samba-common samba-common samba-winbind-modules samba-libs $ yum update $ yum install samba-winbind-client-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64 samba-common-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64 samba-winbind-modules-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64 samba-libs-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64 Mentioning this in-case it provides a simple workaround for anyone who meets this issue.
Comment 10 errata-xmlrpc 2015-11-19 09:10:38 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated files, follow the link below. If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report. https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2015-2258.html