|Summary:||no detailed error messages in the install log|
|Product:||[Fedora] Fedora||Reporter:||Fergal Daly <fergal>|
|Component:||glibc||Assignee:||Jakub Jelinek <jakub>|
|Status:||CLOSED RAWHIDE||QA Contact:||Brian Brock <bbrock>|
|Fixed In Version:||2.3.3-65||Doc Type:||Enhancement|
|Doc Text:||Story Points:||---|
|Last Closed:||2004-10-06 05:19:11 UTC||Type:||---|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
Description Fergal Daly 2004-06-10 10:04:53 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040510 Description of problem: install.log contains a list of packages that were installed or that failed but the error messages are of little use for figuring out what actually went wrong. Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): How reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: I tried installing with LVM and something went wrong (everything worked fine when I didn't use LVM). I have no idea what the problem is but it the same thing happened each time I tried to use LVM so it seems to be reproducible for me. Actual Results: my install log looks like Installing 1459 packages Installing fedora-logos-1.1.20-1.noarch. Installing hwdata-0.101-1.noarch. Installing libgcc-3.3.2-1.i386. Installing setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch. Installing filesystem-2.2.1-5.i386. Installing basesystem-8.0-2.noarch. Installing termcap-11.0.1-17.noarch. Installing tzdata-2003d-1.noarch. Installing glibc-common-2.3.2-101.i386. Installing glibc-2.3.2-101.i686. error: %post(glibc-2.3.2-101) scriptlet failed, exit status 115 Installing beecrypt-3.0.1-0.20030630.1.i386. Installing bzip2-libs-1.0.2-10.i386. Installing chkconfig-1.3.9-1.i386. .... Expected Results: What would have been much more useful is something like Installing glibc-2.3.2-101.i686. error: %post(glibc-2.3.2-101) scriptlet failed at scriptname:86 #file not found: /lib/something exit status 115 rpm and/or anaconda should echo the output of the scripts and it should be recorded in the log. Additional info: Without this I have no way of even filing a useful bug report for my LVM install problem.
Comment 1 Jeremy Katz 2004-06-14 15:25:43 UTC
It's impossible for anaconda to record non-existent information -- why the glibc scriptlet failed with that error is dependent on what glibc_post_upgrade returns in various cases
Comment 2 Jakub Jelinek 2004-06-14 15:36:05 UTC
115 means /usr/sbin/iconvconfig failed. glibc_post_upgrade is not very verbose on purpose, it is statically linked, but doesn't want to bloat too much, so avoids most of the libc functions to keep the binary small. Try running /usr/sbin/iconvconfig by hand to see why it failed.
Comment 3 Jeremy Katz 2004-06-14 15:41:25 UTC
*** Bug 125697 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 4 Fergal Daly 2004-06-14 16:13:07 UTC
I think it would not be possible to run iconvconfig by hand because it's part of glibc and glibc failed to install so the files got deleted (I think). The system was completely unusable, no glibc, no grub, no kernel. chroot /mnt/sysimage gave a segfault. (#125697 has more details) The point of my suggestion is that the failure output from iconvconfig should have been captured in the log, rather than me having to try and get it manually. Would you be interested in a patch to make glibc_post_upgrade redirect stdout and stderr to a temp file every time it runs a command and then to output the contents of these files if the command fails? It looks like a fairly simple change.
Comment 5 Fergal Daly 2004-07-04 20:41:37 UTC
Created attachment 101622 [details] factor out exec code from glibc_post_upgrade This patch adds a function and a macro which allows the removal of lots of repeated code for doing execv, waitpid etc. It removes 50 lines of code and 400 bytes on the executable.
Comment 6 Fergal Daly 2004-07-04 20:46:25 UTC
Created attachment 101623 [details] make glibc_post_upgrade more verbose this patch follow the previous and adds some very basic printing functions so that we can see what glibc_post_upgrade is doing and what went wrong. This adds 60 lines of code and 700 bytes to the exe but it should help tracking down problems.
Comment 8 Ulrich Drepper 2004-10-06 05:19:11 UTC
The current rawhide builds have a patch based on yours.