|Summary:||Red Hat does't start after Accelerated X 5.0 install|
|Product:||[Retired] Red Hat Linux||Reporter:||fleck_work|
|Component:||SysVinit||Assignee:||David Lawrence <dkl>|
|Status:||CLOSED NOTABUG||QA Contact:|
|Fixed In Version:||Doc Type:||Bug Fix|
|Doc Text:||Story Points:||---|
|Last Closed:||1999-06-11 18:35:16 UTC||Type:||---|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
|Cloudforms Team:||---||Target Upstream Version:|
Description fleck_work 1999-06-10 14:35:12 UTC
Here I come with more bugs to report... OK. This is the way it worked. I installed Red Hat 6.0 and then Accelerated X 5.0. The first time it was not a Full install. I cannot remember if it was a Minimal or what, I just know it wasn't a full install. Something happened with my modem and sound, so I erased the whole thing and did a complete reinstall. This time I have installed Accelerated X 5.0 "FULL" and the updated to 5.0.1... I typed "reboot". Uh-oh! When the Red Hat init was running and the [ OK ] remars were scrolling up, it got to this initiaton of X11 Font Server or something of the sort. This of course did not work and the system comes to a complete halt. This of course has to be the "FULL" install of Accelerated X 5! Yikes! Now I gotta go home today and boot up a mini-distro so that I can find the init file which does that evil stuff and kill that section. This of course is probably not an XFree86 problem, so I put it down in the SysVinit since I don't know much about the whole init process of Linux (except for how files in /etc/rc.d work) and much less Red Hat Linux... I should have my sound/modem problem bug report up next... it has to do with sndconfig and stuff... ------- Additional Comments From 06/11/99 10:18 ------- as a follow-up to this, i was able to install Enoch, (you can look at www.swcp.com/~drobbins/enoch for info) a small, efficient, and useful tiny Linux distro on a partition on my system. I was then able to find the file which someone told me to look at (Thanks to #LinuxHelp on EFNet!) which was /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs or something of taht sort. Anyway, I moved the file to /xfs.old and removed executable marks, just to make sure that I had a backup and that it would, by no means, execute. The system booted perfectly and I am running Red Hat 6.0 with Accelerated X 5.0 and it works! I had to take some font directories from /etc/X11/fs/config (is that the right place? im at work right now) and put them in /etc/Xaccel.ini so that I could get the full ammount of fonts, however, this was easy and all I had to add were a few characters here and there. So it is all perfect now. However, if you want to make it secure, just make sure that the Accelerated X directory doesn't exist in the xfs script, or just make sure that /etc/Xaccel.ini does't exist! That SHOULD fix the problems...
Comment 1 Preston Brown 1999-06-11 18:34:59 UTC
This sounds more like a problem with accelerated X stomping all over our own X install than with a problem with our own files. Unless you can provide better details as to how the interaction between Accelerated X and our own X was broken, I am going to have to close this, as it seems like installing Accelerated X broke things that worked fine before. Please reopen the bug if you have details as to why the xfs init script no longer worked with Accelerated X.