Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 3387
Red Hat does't start after Accelerated X 5.0 install
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:50 EDT
Here I come with more bugs to report...
OK. This is the way it worked. I installed Red Hat 6.0
and then Accelerated X 5.0. The first time it was not
a Full install. I cannot remember if it was a Minimal
or what, I just know it wasn't a full install. Something
happened with my modem and sound, so I erased the whole
thing and did a complete reinstall. This time I have
installed Accelerated X 5.0 "FULL" and the updated to
5.0.1... I typed "reboot". Uh-oh! When the Red Hat
init was running and the [ OK ] remars were scrolling
up, it got to this initiaton of X11 Font Server or
something of the sort. This of course did not work
and the system comes to a complete halt. This of course
has to be the "FULL" install of Accelerated X 5! Yikes!
Now I gotta go home today and boot up a mini-distro
so that I can find the init file which does that evil
stuff and kill that section. This of course is probably
not an XFree86 problem, so I put it down in the SysVinit
since I don't know much about the whole init process of
Linux (except for how files in /etc/rc.d work) and
much less Red Hat Linux...
I should have my sound/modem problem bug report up
next... it has to do with sndconfig and stuff...
------- Additional Comments From 06/11/99 10:18 -------
as a follow-up to this, i was able to install Enoch,
(you can look at www.swcp.com/~drobbins/enoch for info)
a small, efficient, and useful tiny Linux distro on a
partition on my system. I was then able to find the file
which someone told me to look at (Thanks to #LinuxHelp
on EFNet!) which was /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs or something of
taht sort. Anyway, I moved the file to /xfs.old and removed
executable marks, just to make sure that I had a backup
and that it would, by no means, execute. The system booted
perfectly and I am running Red Hat 6.0 with Accelerated X 5.0
and it works! I had to take some font directories from
/etc/X11/fs/config (is that the right place? im at work right now)
and put them in /etc/Xaccel.ini so that I could get the full
ammount of fonts, however, this was easy and all I had to add
were a few characters here and there. So it is all perfect
now. However, if you want to make it secure, just make sure
that the Accelerated X directory doesn't exist in the xfs
script, or just make sure that /etc/Xaccel.ini does't exist!
That SHOULD fix the problems...
This sounds more like a problem with accelerated X stomping all over
our own X install than with a problem with our own files. Unless you
can provide better details as to how the interaction between
Accelerated X and our own X was broken, I am going to have to close
this, as it seems like installing Accelerated X broke things that
worked fine before.
Please reopen the bug if you have details as to why the xfs init
script no longer worked with Accelerated X.