Bug 548834

Summary: uname -i started returning unknown
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Bruno Wolff III <bruno>
Component: coreutilsAssignee: Kamil Dudka <kdudka>
Status: ASSIGNED --- QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: low    
Version: 27CC: kdudka, ovasik, twaugh
Target Milestone: ---Keywords: Reopened
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
See Also: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1447460
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-12-19 04:06:32 EST Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Bruno Wolff III 2009-12-18 13:47:13 EST
Description of problem:
I am running rawhide with f12 kernels (due to f13 kernels not booting) and recently uname -i started returning unknown instead of i386 which broke some scripts I was using.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
Actual results:

Expected results:

Additional info:
Comment 1 Ondrej Vasik 2009-12-19 02:48:53 EST
Thanks for report, this was caused by my drop of one hacky patch for uname which never got upstream. It seems that I have to put at least parts of that patch back - but I'll check if there is some other way... sorry for troubles...
Comment 2 Ondrej Vasik 2009-12-19 03:03:29 EST
Looking into http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=193170 it seems there is no easy way to get the correct results other way - no <sys/systeminfo.h> header... I'll put the sysinfo patch back - except the part for athlon, which is really hacky and unreliable.
Comment 3 Ondrej Vasik 2009-12-19 04:06:32 EST
Fixed in coreutils-8.2-4.fc13. Closing RAWHIDE.
Comment 4 Bruno Wolff III 2009-12-19 11:37:45 EST
I am confirming that it is working again for me.
Thanks for fixing this quickly!
Comment 5 Kamil Dudka 2017-05-03 11:16:16 EDT
I believe the correct solution is to use 'uname -m' instead of 'uname -i' in your scripts.  The -p/-i options of uname are now documented as non-portable:


I am about to drop the downstream patch again to make uname work as documented: print "unknown" if the information is not available
Comment 6 Kamil Dudka 2017-05-03 11:35:06 EDT
Note that Gentoo Linux uses the following patch to get the info from /proc:

Comment 7 Jan Kurik 2017-08-15 05:22:05 EDT
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 27 development cycle.
Changing version to '27'.