Bug 909728

Summary: <productname> tag inside <ulink> tag disappears from .po-file
Product: [Community] Publican Reporter: Pete Travis <me>
Component: publicanAssignee: Jeff Fearn 🐞 <jfearn>
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE QA Contact: tools-bugs <tools-bugs>
Severity: unspecified Docs Contact:
Priority: unspecified    
Version: 2.8CC: aigao, ikabanova, me, mmcallis, pbokoc, rlandman, wb8rcr, zach
Target Milestone: 3.2   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: 3.2.0 Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: 876506 Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-08-09 04:48:05 UTC Type: Bug
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---
Bug Depends On: 876506    
Bug Blocks: 151189    

Description Pete Travis 2013-02-10 18:53:15 UTC
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #876506 +++

In working on the translation the Fedora 18 Release Notes into Russian I faced the following string (xml-source):

"For more information refer to the <ulink url="http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/FedFsUtilsProject"> <productname>FedFS</productname> project page</ulink> and the <ulink url="http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/FedFsUtilsDocs"> <productname>FedFS</productname> Documentation page</ulink>."

In po-file it looks like the following:

"For more information refer to the <ulink url=\"http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/FedFsUtilsProject\"> project page</ulink> and the <ulink url=\"http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/FedFsUtilsDocs\"> Documentation page</ulink>."

So the "<productname>FedFS</productname>" part dissapears from po-file. Thus the source string and the translated string no longer correspond to each other. And in translated document this string remains untranslated (it isn't taken into account during building the document up).

This string is in the "2.5.1. FedFS" section of the Release Notes (File_Systems.xml file, lines 49-50).

--- Additional comment from Inna Kabanova on 2012-11-14 14:29:54 EST ---

The same situation is in the Desktop.po file.

Xml-string (line 40):
"<emphasis>Support for <productname>ActiveSync</productname> Accounts</emphasis>: You can use the <application>GNOME</application> <function>online accounts</function> feature to connect your desktop with your online accounts. GNOME already includes a connector for <trademark>Google</trademark> accounts, and <productname>GNOME 3.6</productname> adds a connector for <productname>ActiveSync</productname> (or <productname>Microsoft Exchange</productname>) accounts."

String in po-file:
"<emphasis>Support for Accounts</emphasis>: You can use the "
"<application>GNOME</application> <function>online accounts</function> "
"feature to connect your desktop with your online accounts. GNOME already "
"includes a connector for <trademark>Google</trademark> accounts, and "
"<productname>GNOME 3.6</productname> adds a connector for "
"<productname>ActiveSync</productname> (or <productname>Microsoft "
"Exchange</productname>) accounts."

"<productname>ActiveSync</productname>" part is missed within <emphasis> tag - "<emphasis>Support for Accounts</emphasis>". 

So the result document doesn't include the translation of this string.

--- Additional comment from Inna Kabanova on 2012-11-20 12:02:57 EST ---

One more issue from Desktop.po file:

Xml-string (line 70):
"<emphasis>Improved Notification System</emphasis>: <application>GNOME 3.0</application> included a new way for applications to send notifications to users, called <function>Message Tray</function>. <productname>GNOME 3.6</productname> enhances the <function>Message Tray</function> to help users remain focused and know whether notifications are urgent. For more information, refer to the <ulink url="https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/MessageTray"><orgname>GNOME</orgname> documentation</ulink>."

String in po-file:
"<emphasis>Improved Notification System</emphasis>: <application>GNOME "
"3.0</application> included a new way for applications to send notifications "
"to users, called <function>Message Tray</function>. <productname>GNOME "
"3.6</productname> enhances the <function>Message Tray</function> to help "
"users remain focused and know whether notifications are urgent. For more "
"information, refer to the"

The "<ulink url="https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/MessageTray"><orgname>GNOME</orgname> documentation</ulink>" part is missing whole.

--- Additional comment from Pete Travis on 2012-12-01 16:28:13 EST ---

I've changed the source XML in the release notes to keep these strings whole. Thanks for catching this, Inna.

Comment 1 Pete Travis 2013-02-10 18:55:06 UTC
In summary, some tags nested within an <emphasis> will dissappear when publican publican creates POTs, although this does not violate the DTD.

Comment 2 Ruediger Landmann 2013-04-17 00:51:42 UTC
Moving this upstream.

Comment 3 Jeff Fearn 🐞 2013-07-08 04:20:27 UTC
To ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/publican.git
   ca2286c..0bc2019  HEAD -> devel

Comment 4 HSS Product Manager 2013-07-08 05:48:01 UTC
HSS-QE has reviewed and declined this request. QE for this bug will be handled by IED.

Comment 5 Petr Bokoc 2013-07-22 12:44:09 UTC
Seems to be fixed now, I tried all of the provided examples and no tags disappeared.

Verified in publican-3.1.5-0.fc17.t62.noarch.

Comment 6 Jeff Fearn 🐞 2013-08-09 04:48:05 UTC
The fix for this bug has been shipped in publican 3.2.0