Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1000018
terminal emulators don't work after update to glibc-2.17-13.fc19
Last modified: 2016-11-24 10:59:51 EST
Created attachment 789211 [details]
urxvt strace log
Description of problem:
After doing a yum upgrade, most terminal emulators don't want to start (gnome-terminal, urxvt, tmux)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Just start urxvt, tmux, gnome-terminal.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. run urxvt
urxvt: can't initialize pseudo-tty, aborting.
urxvt starts without errors
* Narrowed it down to glibc. There's a pty chown CVE fix in there 
* After downgrading glibc, everything is back to normal.
* Here's how devpts is mounted:
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
* Attached strace log. Check out the chown err on /dev/pts/1.
 - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-15053/glibc-2.17-13.fc19?_csrf_token=390be9769cd733681beb5e86c521ebc6eabb6de6
devpts is mounted by default as:
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,seclabel,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
Not having gid=5 in your mount options is wrong and should not occur in a default installation. In fact, I had mentioned that in a note in the update link you posted.
Unless there is reason to believe that the default fedora install options resulted in gid=5 not being present, this is not a bug. Do you know how your system ended up without gid=5 in the mount options?
Ooops. PEBCAK. Found the issue: I deleted the devpts line in fstab and it was getting mounted with default arguments. After fixing that all works fine.