Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1001421
Anaconda freezes immediately after entering the hub
Last modified: 2014-02-21 13:44:45 EST
Created attachment 790741 [details]
Anaconda screen that froze
Description of problem:
Boot Fedora 20 Alpha TC1 DVD and choose language (English (US) in my case), click next.
Anaconda completely freezes. No option can be selected and the screen does not change for more than 30 minutes (I shutdown the VM after that).
This happens in a VM that I used few minutes ago to install F20 using the same image.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Not always. Happens suddenly.
Anaconda freezes, screenshot attached.
Installer should work.
Created attachment 790742 [details]
Created attachment 790743 [details]
Created attachment 790744 [details]
Created attachment 790745 [details]
I have attached all the logs that I thought would be useful.
The storage.log indicates that anaconda is running resize2fs to resize a filesystem, and this can take a very long time. What steps did you perform up to this point? Are you using a kickstart file? Did you specify a storage configuration?
(In reply to David Shea from comment #5)
> The storage.log indicates that anaconda is running resize2fs to resize a
> filesystem, and this can take a very long time. What steps did you perform
> up to this point?
I chose the language (English US) in the first screen that appears upon booting the DVD and I got this screen.
> Are you using a kickstart file?
No. I am/was trying to install from the DVD using anaconda graphical.
> Did you specify a storage configuration?
I apologize for not creating multiple bug reports for Beta TC5.
1) From TZ selection, Montreal is missing from the list and the map. Has been there from Core days and it is no longer there. If it was removed because of being in the same Timezone as New York and Toronto (Eastern TZ), then you should also remove one of Toronto or New York.
2) Since Fedora 18, one cannot scroll the city list if one needs to rescroll a second time. (I filed Bugzilla reports for F18 alpah, F18 Beta, F18, F19 Alpha F19 beta , F19, F20 Alpha, and I will now update that bugzilla report for F20 Beta). Two and a half years of bugzilla reporting and no action to repair.
3) As reported since F18alpa, the keyboard layout is missing a key between the Z and the left shift key. Again, refer to my bugzilla reports and attached print screens.
4) Default hostname in Network Configuration says Fedora19. We are testing Fedora20, Suggest default hostname as Fedora20.Fedora20
5)Can you put a better description for Design Suite. It essentially reads as Design Suite is for Designers. Is Design suite for housing, web, or program design?
6) Wireless Setup. Did the checkbox to show hostname password disappear. A long password (20chars) is next to impossible to enter correctly except after a few attempts to get it right?
7) Thin LVM provisioning on my system boots as far as Waiting for basic system. until the dracut prompt arrives.
8) I purposely put in a weak password for "root". There is no prompt to request doing a double entry on "done" to accept. After rebooting, I put in the strong root password. Ditto for normal/Admin user. Prompt that to confirm password is missing.
9)I believe that Anaconda has some touchups to reposition some fields. My monitor received wrong size information and half the button on the right side of the screen was omitted.
After reboot, Configuring the "add cloud account" came up empty. This add account option with choices was present in the F20 ALPHA version.
The keyboard layout for latam has the wrong character for the alt-GR 2 key.
The @ symbol is appearing instead of the ` . The key to show < > and alt-GR |¦
is missing, It too is located between the Z key and the left shift key. Again, refer to bugzilla report for F18, F19 and now F20 Alpha.
Please redistribute this report. I will report again after F20 updates are installed.
I am continuing here with problems.
1) After logon, there is no indication the system is ready.
2) The user name in the popdown menu is omitted. I share the pc with wife and three kids, and we each have separate logons. How can we tell which user is logged on? Did someone change my logon while I went to wash my hands? (In my own home I do not have to lock the screen to go to wash my hands or walk to the kitchen to take a cup of coffee).
3) I am trilingual. I installed by selecting English, but only with the Canada French layout. When I rebooted after Anaconda installation, I could not log into the system because the wrong keyboard is set. I (I did remove English, and inserted Canada French).
4) Keyboard selection says French(France), but actually, it is French from many countries. Some of which use the azerty keyboard, and some that use the pc105 Canadian French keyboard. Please remove the France word from the initial keyboard selection option.
5) I log out more often than do a poweroff. Can the button for user include the user name? Why do I have to go to terminal mode and type the ID command to see which user is logged on.
6)Why should one button be used for poweroff, but it takes one click to select the user popdown menu, a second to click on the name presented name, and a third to mouse click to select "switch user/log out". Is Fedora a single user system and to leave Fedora we poweroff? Gnome! stop emulating Android and consider the actual user. I am going to stick to Fedora 19 until Fedora20 becomes ergonomically friendly.
The Video driver puts the screen about 3 characters past the right screen margin. I have to test click past the right margin to see if I can tell who is logged on.
7) While logged in, I did click on the print-screen button, and will evaluate it. It will show the popdown menu, and configure, lock, and poweroff. Why is poweroff button presented again. It should be a logout button at least.
8) Can designers please think of how to minimize the number of mouse key clicks to initiate an action. I should not have to ask if the Designers only look at real-estate, and not at user friendliness.
Bugzilla is not a generic discussion forum. I suggest sending your list of complaints to test@ with links to relevant bug reports that you filed.
Please only add information pertinent to this bug report here.
Does this problem still occur with the F20 release?
I don't think so. I have used F20 now in multiple systems (VM and bare metal) without this issue.
I am not seeing this in rawhide versions either.
I think we can close this bug now. I am not sure what resolution to choose - currentrelease?