This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2017-10-23 It is expected to last about 30 minutes
Bug 1006135 - In pdf output, headings format is not rendered properly.
In pdf output, headings format is not rendered properly.
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Publican
Classification: Community
Component: publican (Show other bugs)
future
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jeff Fearn
tools-bugs
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-09-10 01:59 EDT by nshendye
Modified: 2013-12-18 21:46 EST (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 4.0.0
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-12-18 21:46:39 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
PDF built with publican-3.9.9-0.fc19.t12.noarch (9.26 MB, application/pdf)
2013-10-18 01:10 EDT, Ruediger Landmann
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Comment 3 Jeff Fearn 2013-09-17 21:27:07 EDT
The problem here is that the Indic font being used does not supply bold weights or Latin characters and thus the font weight differs between the Indic font and the fall back font.

The same effect is visible on the web site as the same fonts are being used.

All we can do is make a work around by creating a lang.css file for all the languages affected and switch of Bold for all titles.

Rudi, is this acceptable?
Comment 5 HSS Product Manager 2013-09-18 01:27:46 EDT
HSS-QE has reviewed and declined this request. QE for this bug will be handled by IED.
Comment 6 Ruediger Landmann 2013-09-22 21:52:07 EDT
(In reply to Jeff Fearn from comment #3)
> The problem here is that the Indic font being used does not supply bold
> weights or Latin characters and thus the font weight differs between the
> Indic font and the fall back font.
> 
> The same effect is visible on the web site as the same fonts are being used.
> 
> All we can do is make a work around by creating a lang.css file for all the
> languages affected and switch of Bold for all titles.
> 
> Rudi, is this acceptable?

Seems completely reasonable to me. Ankit, what do you think?
Comment 7 Ankit Patel 2013-09-23 01:48:03 EDT
(In reply to Ruediger Landmann from comment #6)
> (In reply to Jeff Fearn from comment #3)
> > The problem here is that the Indic font being used does not supply bold
> > weights or Latin characters and thus the font weight differs between the
> > Indic font and the fall back font.
> > 
> > The same effect is visible on the web site as the same fonts are being used.
> > 
> > All we can do is make a work around by creating a lang.css file for all the
> > languages affected and switch of Bold for all titles.
> > 
> > Rudi, is this acceptable?
> 
> Seems completely reasonable to me. Ankit, what do you think?

Looks reasonable to me as well.

However, I know that i18n team has recently started packaging some google fonts for Fedora that include regular as well as bold styles for Indic languages. Perhaps we might want to try them out before we make a decision.

The Indic fonts available on Fedora 19 are:
google-noto-sans-bengali-fonts
google-noto-sans-bengali-ui-fonts
google-noto-sans-devanagari-fonts
google-noto-sans-devanagari-ui-fonts
google-noto-sans-gujarati-fonts
google-noto-sans-gujarati-ui-fonts
google-noto-sans-kannada-fonts
google-noto-sans-kannada-ui-fonts
google-noto-sans-malayalam-fonts
google-noto-sans-malayalam-ui-fonts
google-noto-sans-tamil-fonts
google-noto-sans-tamil-ui-fonts
google-noto-sans-telugu-fonts
google-noto-sans-telugu-ui-fonts

Thanks,
Ankit
Comment 8 Jeff Fearn 2013-09-23 02:17:51 EDT
> Perhaps we might want to try them out before we make a decision.

Are you offering to back port these to RHEL6 and maintain them?
Comment 9 Pravin Satpute 2013-09-23 02:28:59 EDT
We have one pending decision from some time now for adding Bold weight and Latin support in Lohit fonts.

I think Jens can give more information on that.

having this support will not create this kind of issues.
Comment 10 Ankit Patel 2013-09-24 07:58:33 EDT
(In reply to Jeff Fearn from comment #8)
> > Perhaps we might want to try them out before we make a decision.
> 
> Are you offering to back port these to RHEL6 and maintain them?

Does it require to do so? All we need is update/re-build the documents with changes and make them live.
Comment 11 Jeff Fearn 2013-09-24 18:48:44 EDT
(In reply to Ankit Patel from comment #10)
> (In reply to Jeff Fearn from comment #8)
> > > Perhaps we might want to try them out before we make a decision.
> > 
> > Are you offering to back port these to RHEL6 and maintain them?
> 
> Does it require to do so? All we need is update/re-build the documents with
> changes and make them live.

If the packages aren't in brew they can't be used when building.
Comment 12 Pravin Satpute 2013-09-26 02:15:11 EDT
I am package maintainer for NotoSans in rhel7, let me know what is exactly required.

Still optimistic that soon we will have lohit bold weight as well...
Comment 16 Jeff Fearn 2013-09-30 00:43:41 EDT
Removed bold from titles in Indic scripts.

To ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/publican.git
   c3721e7..8711fbe  HEAD -> devel
Comment 18 Ruediger Landmann 2013-10-14 01:56:42 EDT
[Note to testers -- cannot verify this fix until bug 1018024 is fixed]
Comment 19 Ruediger Landmann 2013-10-18 01:10:48 EDT
Created attachment 813598 [details]
PDF built with publican-3.9.9-0.fc19.t12.noarch

In publican-3.9.9-0.fc19.t12.noarch, titles in the book itself are not bolded, and the presentation looks OK to me, but then, I don't read Marathi! 

I note that titles in the Table of Contents are still bolded. However, this doesn't seem to look to bad to me. However, I'd rather that somebody who reads Marathi would confirm.
Comment 20 nshendye 2013-10-21 02:07:17 EDT
(In reply to Ruediger Landmann from comment #19)
> Created attachment 813598 [details]
> PDF built with publican-3.9.9-0.fc19.t12.noarch
> 
> In publican-3.9.9-0.fc19.t12.noarch, titles in the book itself are not
> bolded, and the presentation looks OK to me, but then, I don't read Marathi! 
> 
> I note that titles in the Table of Contents are still bolded. However, this
> doesn't seem to look to bad to me. However, I'd rather that somebody who
> reads Marathi would confirm.

Hi Rudi, 

I have reviewed the attached pdf, and titles look OK to me as well. 

Thanks,
Nilam
Comment 21 Ruediger Landmann 2013-10-29 01:16:47 EDT
Thanks Nilam!

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.