Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1009642
pkcon returns incorrect status for various commands
Last modified: 2017-12-06 07:04:37 EST
Description of problem: pkcon fails to return correct status for various failures. Status of 0 is returned for the following (0 should be for success - failures should return a value.
1. when declining to proceed when there are dependencies get "Fatal error: user declined simulation" status 0 returned expect 5:
2. when giving invalid_repo to repo-enable or repo-disable get "The transaction failed: repo-not-found, Error getting repository data for invalid_repo, repository not found" Status of 0 returned expect 1
pkcon repo-enable invalid_repo
pkcon repo-disable invalid_repo
3. down load to existing file - No error is given. Status 0 is given and download successful. Expect Error indicating file exists with non 0 status or prompt if user wants to overwrite.
pkcon download exiting-file pkg
4. Performing install-local of pkg where dependencies on repos are unavailable get error " Fatal error: could not do simulate: 1:xchat-2.8.8-1.el6.x86_64 requires libsexy.so.2()(64bit)
1:xchat-2.8.8-1.el6.x86_64 requires libntlm.so.0()(64bit)" Status 0 Expect 1
5. Install non-existing package get "Command failed: This tool could not find any available package: could not find unavailable_package" Status 1 but expected 4.
pkcon intall package-unavailable
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. See description
Error shown but status of 0 returned.
Non 0 error status returned.
More Scenarios of failures but status of 0 is returned.
1. pkcon refresh, install, download or update when network down returns status of 0. Error is returned.
2. pkcon search where search input to long returns correct error of "Fatal error: The search string length is too large" But status 0 returned
3. pkcon install-local of invalid rpm. Error returned Fatal error: could not do simulate: /mnt/tests/desktop/rhel-6/PackageKit/data/invalid.rpm does not appear to be a valid package. Status returned 0
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 is in the Production 3 Phase. During the Production 3 Phase, Critical impact Security Advisories (RHSAs) and selected Urgent Priority Bug Fix Advisories (RHBAs) may be released as they become available.
The official life cycle policy can be reviewed here:
This issue does not meet the inclusion criteria for the Production 3 Phase and will be marked as CLOSED/WONTFIX. If this remains a critical requirement, please contact Red Hat Customer Support to request a re-evaluation of the issue, citing a clear business justification. Note that a strong business justification will be required for re-evaluation. Red Hat Customer Support can be contacted via the Red Hat Customer Portal at the following URL: